Your child has turned 3 which is altogether a major milestone achieved by her. She will be no more termed as a toddler now. Read on to learn about the normal and fundamental developments that takes place in a 3 year old child.
Children vary a lot when it comes to development. However, there are some basic things that you can observe and make out if you know what they are. Your toddler might show lots of progress physically, intellectually and emotionally even after completing her 3 years. Just keep in mind that a toddler
constantly learns and so if your child is showing slightly slow development, you should not get worried. Do not compare with other children of same age and get anxious.
Some children learn faster while a number of kids take time. Unless there is any sign of problem, you should not worry. However, it is always advisable to be careful when it comes to development of kids and for this you need to know the normal developmental stages of a 3 year old child.
When you know what you should expect from your child, it becomes easy for you to keep track of development of your child.
Milestones Observed in a 3-Year-Old Toddler
Have a quick look at the milestones which can be attained by a child by the time she is 3 years old.
- She is no longer a toddler now
- She is more independent now
- Walks independently and almost like an adult
- Catches and throws large balls
- Can ride a bicycle
- Make use of small slides independently
- Climb stairs with alternating her feet
- Can assemble simple puzzles
- Play with blocks more efficiently
- Can match pictures to objects and identify pictures, colours and shapes
- Start eating on her own in much better way
- Exhibits social skills like sharing things with others, talking, listening and so on
- Enjoys helping with household chores
- Can make her own choice when two or more things are offered
- Has become more aware of feelings and emotions
- Always wants to please you and hear praise from you
- Starts identifying her place at home
- Speaks complete sentences and understands almost everything related to daily activities
- Is able to tell her name and also names of father and mother
- Might have pronunciation problem at times and get irritated if not understood
- Should be able to answer simple questions
- Should have an active vocabulary of at least few hundred words
Eating Patterns and Nutrition of a Three Year Old Child
By now your child must be eating foods from all the major groups. Try to serve variety of healthy foods
so that she eventually gets what her body needs at this time. Even though a chart of diet pattern can help you decide what and how much food you should give to your child, it is advisable to follow your toddler’s clues.
Let your child accept new taste and textures and let her be satisfied. Just make sure she is getting right nutrition. If your child eats less than the normal diet, there is no need to panic provided you offer her varieties of nutrition in her daily diet.
One of the most important parts of your child’s diet is milk. If your child does not like milk, you should make sure you provide her with a different source of calcium
so that her calcium need is met properly. Also, have a good source of iron so that your child meets her needs of iron aptly. Ideally healthy children do not need any supplements. Never give any kind of supplement without discussing it with a paediatrician.
Activities of a 3 year Old Child
Since your child has started her fourth year, it is advisable not to leave your child inactive for long hours unless she is asleep. Avoid allowing your child to watch TV or travel in a car for long period because it is not good for her health and development.
- Fast walking
- Riding bicycle
- Active games like hide and seek, running, throwing and catching ball
- Skipping rope
Where energetic activities can help in right physical and mental development, organized activities like dancing and gymnastic will help in concentration and focus. Being physically active every day is good for growth and development of children especially of young age. So, children should be encouraged to stay engaged in light activities as well as energetic physical activities.
Tips for Parenting 3 Year Old Child
- At this age your child will need some time for transition and so you should give your child enough time for that before leaving the house
- Make your child understand the rules of house and some rituals as well
- Provide lots of opportunities to help your child learn and develop coordination
- Point out colours and product names in everyday life and activities
- Encourage your child to do things independently to develop self-confidence
At the age of three, your child is constantly learning something or the other. Give your love and support and try to provide a little bit of freedom every now and then so that she develops confidence in herself. When your child learns a new skill, praise her and celebrate the moment giving her positive attention and support her if she has achieved it with hard work.What kind of developments can be expected in a 3-year-old child? Which activities are good for 3-year-old toddler? How to ensure that right nutrition is provided to a 3-year-old child? Discuss here.