Your toddler is just a month away from completing a major milestone. Here is what you need to know about the growth and development of a 23-month-old toddler.
It is time to cheer again and prepare for your toddlerâ€™s 2nd birthday! Your little one will turn 2 years old on completion of this month! Your little child will understand some of all the celebrations going on when you bring her the presents and her birthday cake. This birthday shall mean advancement to some other skills and more independence. Since she may not be able to get all that she wants all the time, you need to be prepared for her frustrations.
Although, you may want to shape her personality, you must not forget she is a separate individual and has her own likes and dislikes. You cannot expect her to behave the way you want all the time as after all she is a child. However, all you can do is distract her and channelize her attention on something more interesting.
She can now speak 2-3 sentences now, so be prepared for all the chatters throughout the day.
Here we shall look closer at her other growth and developments:
23-Month-Old Toddlerâ€™s Growth and Development
She shall love the make believe games now. You may find her trying to dress up and walk around wearing your shoes. She shall also hold imaginary conversations with her toys. If you watch her closely, you may find her replicating your behaviour. Therefore, use your words carefully before her.
Persistence becomes a known trait at this time. She will be persistent about demanding something that she wants from you. It is important that you plan your course of action and make sure you do not give in to her demands all the time.
Lying down, thrashing, squatting are some of the behaviours you can expect from her when you are not giving into her demands. However, remain stern in the decision you have taken, as this way she shall know it is final when you have decided something.
Her brain is almost 75% of the volume of an adult brain. The remaining 25% shall grow in the coming 18 years.
Interactive Games and Play Times for Toddlers
You may find her spending time grooming herself, brushing her hair, trying to put on clothes and wear shoes all by herself. She will love to stand in front of her mirror reflection for hours and make different gestures. Rather than switching from one game to the other, you may now find her getting absorbed in an activity for long. She may also want you to get involved in hers play and pay attention at her.
Be ready for the frequent hugs and kisses from your toddler now. Just when you had decided she is fairly grown up and can be left alone for some time, you may find her coming to you running and showering her kisses on you.
Inculcating reading habits are very essential now. Continue reading out to her, like you had been doing so far. She will also love exploring the remote controls, your mobile and certainly your laptops now. You may also find her imitating you and using the gadgets you use every day.
Eating Patterns of a Toddler
You can now broaden her palette and include all that you were waiting to offer. However, do not expect her to accept everything new in a single go. Give her time to explore her likes and dislikes. If you find her reluctant about any particular food, you may offer it to her some days later again. Do not force her to take anything that she does not like and encourage self-feeding.
Make sure to turn off the laptop and your TV and help her concentrate on her food on the table. Develop the habit of sitting together for the meals every day. Rather than concentrating on whether she is eating or not, make eating a casual affair and hold conversations with your family at the dinner table.
Watching your toddler grow up becomes even more enjoyable when you adopt a casual approach. So, go ahead and watch her grow!
What milestones are expected from a 23-month-old toddler? How to encourage self feeding in toddlers? How to make meal times a family affair? Discuss here.
You may also be interested in:
Sorry. Due to our site's regulations and policies, your message has not been posted. Our moderating team has been notified about your message. If the message is found to be genuine and still did not get posted, you may not post the message again as it will automatically get posted for you within 24hrs time (excluding weekends).
- The Indiaparenting Team