Speech development in your preschooler will be at peak now and you need to boost the communicating abilities. Find out the developmental milestones that you can expect in a 4 years and 10-month-old preschooler.
By this time your little one has developed sufficient gross motor and fine motor skills. She has also developed quite a lot of confidence in developing her physical abilities. However, you may find her abilities not matching the expectations. It is important to encourage her to try new things every day.
Here we shall take a look at some of the developmental milestones
that you can expect her to attain this month.
Speech Development in Preschoolers
One of the most interesting and exciting things for you would be her speech development
. However, you need to leave it on her to develop her communicating abilities at her own pace. At this month here are some speech developments that you can expect:
- She may alarm you with use of some bad words. Make sure to correct them and ensure she does not repeat them too often.
- She will want you to listen to her stories.
- Be prepared for all the questions coming from her. She may keep you busy with plenty of questions every now and then.
- She may now be able to identify colours.
- She shall now be able to follow your different commands and instructions.
What Your Preschooler Can Understand?
As she is capable of speaking a lot more than before, she is becoming more and more aware of her surroundings. She shall start understanding different concepts and also compare different abstract ideas. While again you need to keep in mind she shall progress in her own pace, here are some developmental milestones that you can expect.
- She shall develop an understanding of time.
- She shall become more and more aware of those around her.
- She may be aware of the rules you have set for her. She shall understand what is right and wrong for her now.
- She can now understand some of the cause and effect relations.
- Her curiosity about happenings around the world shall increase.
- In some cases she may even start comparing her family rules with that of others.
Interaction with Children
She must have learnt to interact and socialize with children of her age. It is in fact a very important developmental milestone that she has attained. The way she develops shall depend on her personality. However, here are some milestones that you can expect her to attain:
- She shall love her independence and try things on her own.
- She shall not like to share her things with others.
- She shall be aggressive and may appear moody at times.
- She may create fears in his mind using her imaginations.
- Playing doctor and nurse at this age is very usual. You may also find her experimenting with her different body parts.
- Sibling rivalries are very common at this age.
- She shall grow more responsible with time.
- She shall be able to dress or undress herself completely.
- She shall feel more attached to her parents.
- She shall start following some of the good manners.
Helping Your Preschooler Improve her Social Ability
- You must shower her with plenty of encouragement for good behaviour.
- She must have the scope to open out her feelings.
- Reading to her or singing songs is very important.
- Make sure you spend quality time with her every day.
- Encourage her to participate in different activities and explore different possibilities.
- She must be given the opportunity to make choices.
- She should be encouraged to vent out her anger appropriately.
- It is very important that you limit her TV viewing time. It must not be more than 2 hours a day.
You are in for plenty of surprises in the coming months! Good luck mommies! What developmental milestones are expected from preschooler at this age? How can parents help in improving social ability of the child? What activities should parents carry out with their preschoolers? Discuss here.