Honey provides lot of health benefits as well as helps to cure lot of health disorders. Honey remedies are natural remedies for curing various health disorders like cuts, wounds, nasal congestion, cough, asthma and so on. If you want to know how to use honey remedies for curing various health problems, read on.
In this article
Honey is one of the purest and natural forms of sweeteners that help promote general and overall health. However, it is very important to buy or get purest honey that has all the essential minerals in it. For this, you can consider dark coloured honey because the darker it is the more minerals it will contain. The benefits of honey are manifold and it is also beneficial when applied on burns or taken along with different food items for treating various health problems as well.
Have a quick look at thehealth benefits of honey and how it helps to cure health disorders.
1. Helps to Get Sound Sleep
Honey helps you sleep well. If you find that you are suffering from mild insomnia or you have not been having good and sound sleep since last few days, you can try this out. Take a cup of hot milk and add one dessert spoon of honey.
2. Helps to Cope with Nasal Congestion
It helps clean nasal congestion. Take a bowl of hot water and add one or two dessert spoons of honey to it. Cover your head with a towel and inhale the steam for some time. You will get relief.
3. Helps to Deal with Osteoporosis
If you take one teaspoonful of honey on daily basis, your body will get the essential calcium required and you will stay away from problems like osteoporosis.
4. Makes Coping with Migraine Easier
People suffering from migraine attack can take one dessert spoon of honey mixed with half glass of warm water at the beginning of the attack. They can take another dose after twenty minutes if needed.
5. Heals Cuts and Wounds
Honey heals cuts, wounds, burns and wounds. Just tab some honey on it and bandage it. You will be surprised to see the fast recovery.
6. Soothes Burning Sensation in Mouth
If you have eaten anything spicy and find that you cannot get rid of the burning sensation in your tongue and throat, eat a spoonful of honey.
7. Helps in Digestion
Honey when added to apple cider vinegar in equal proportion and then diluted with water helps in digestion and reduces joint inflammation also.
8. Helps Heart Patients
Heart patients are advised against consuming white sugar. So, replacing white sugar with honey can help heart patients.
9. Prevents Asthma Attacks
Honey can act as a cough suppressant. It is also useful in dealing with inflammation in the bronchial tubes and breaking up of mucus thereby making it easier to breath. In this way it can help asthma patients stay away from attacks.
10. Prevents Cancer and Arthritis
Regular intake of honey is also said to help live longer and stay away from problems like cancer and arthritis.
11. Helps in Dealing with Conjunctivitis
Honey and warm water taken in equal quantity proves to be an ideal eye wash for conjunctivitis.
12. Acts as Natural Food Preservative
Honey is a natural food preservative. You can replace sugar with honey while making the cake and see the difference in the taste and freshness of the cake.
13. Helps to Cure Cough
Honey helps in curing coughs too. Honey glycerine and lemon juice mixed in right proportion helps cure cough.
14. Helps in Weight Loss
Honey and lemon juice mixed with warm water helps in weight loss. You should take this as the first thing in the morning for better results.
15. Cures Allergies
Honey is beneficial for treating different types of allergies also. It is very helpful in treating allergies on skin that are cause due to ant bite, bee-sting or wasp bite.
Pregnancy is a crucial period of a would-be-mother's life; she has to take really good care of her nutrient intakes. If you can pick the right brand of honey after consulting your doctor, honey can do wonders for your pregnancy troubles. Here are some health benefits of honey during pregnancy:
- Honey decreases allergies during pregnancy.Cough and cold could really drain your energy during pregnancy, honey fights cough and cold faster than anything else.
- Insomnia is common during pregnancy, a little bit of honey with lukewarm milk could help you sleep peacefully.
- Helps in indigestion.
- Honey is rich in antioxidants, which is really helpful during pregnancy.
- Honey can treat ulcers and gastrointestinal problems, which are common during pregnancy.
Take a quick look at the benefits of honey for small kids.
- Honey contains three types of sugar, sucrose, glucose and fructose. These help in boosting and retaining energy levels in your body.
- Honey contains vitamins and minerals like amino acid, which helps the growth process in kids.
- Honey protects the liver from damage.
- It decreases the side effects of antibiotics and other medications.
- A dab of honey can heal wounds and cuts faster.
- Honey calms the effects of cold and cough.
Honey has been used since more than 2,500 years. It is because of the numerous health benefits that it is widely used in many Ayurvedic medicines. Even modern day scientists are researching and trying to make use of it for allopathic medicines. The advantages of honey can be countless. It is good for all age group of people and can be taken regularly for overall health benefits. The best form of taking honey is raw.
In 2400 BC, it was finally discovered that humans were cultivating colonies of bees for honey. Although, it is also known that honey was being used by humans since the past 8000 years. Around 4000 years ago, honey was used in Ayurvedic medication to cure indigestion and other imbalances in the body.
Here some ways to include Honey in your daily diet:
- Honey can be used as a sweetener for dressings.
- Switch sugar with honey for your daily cup of tea or coffee.
- Include honey in your breakfast with toasts or pancakes.
- Honey can be used with oatmeal and cereal.
- Use honey with your fresh fruit juices for some extra sweetness.
No matter in what stage of life you are, you can always enjoy the health benefits of honey. However, if you are a parent of a newborn, you must surely avoid giving it to your baby. The spores of bacteria in honey are known to cause botulism in newborns. Therefore, you must only introduce it in your baby's diet after he or she completes 12 months of her age.
What are the health benefits of honey? How to include honey in diet? Why is it not safe to give honey to newborns? Discuss here.