Turmeric is an ancient spice, widely used in India for health, beauty and cooking purposes. Owing to its innumerable healing properties, it is one of the principle herbs used in Ayurveda. It purifies blood, contains anti-aging, anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties, and gives the skin a healthy glow. Read on to know about the Health Benefits of Turmeric and its importance in Hindu customs and Ayurveda.
Turmeric possesses many medicinal and healing properties. In India Turmeric is known as 'Haldi
'. Turmeric is not only widely used for curing disorders but also is one of the holy and auspicious items offered to Hindu Gods and Goddesses. It is a part of many Hindu customs and traditions including Hindu marriages.
A day before Hindu marriage, 'Haldi
ceremony' is performed for the bride and bridegroom at their respective homes. Turmeric powder is mixed with milk and sandal wood and applied to bride and bridegroom during this ceremony. The objective behind this ceremony is to make the person look beautiful and protect him or her from evil sprits. Turmeric powder is offered to God in every Hindu Pooja
We can derive many benefits from turmeric while using it in our day-to-day life. Right from the kitchen cabinet to your beauty kit, turmeric can be used effectively for many purposes. Have a quick look at the benefits of turmeric
Benefits of Turmeric
Here are some of the ways in which turmeric can prove beneficial to our health.
- Turmeric adds a specific colour and flavour to our food items and it is an inseparable part of some food recipes. In some parts of India, leaves of turmeric plant are used in food preparations. Turmeric leaves add wonderful flavour and smell to the food at the same time is good for health.
- Turmeric powder can be applied on cuts and wounds, which help to cure them faster. Because of its antiseptic properties it helps to protect skin from infections and cures skin damages faster making skin soft.
- Consumption of turmeric reduces the sugar level in blood and therefore it is good for diabetes patients. However, you should consume it under your doctor's prescription if you are a diabetes patient.
- If you add a pinch of turmeric in milk and drink it, it will help you to protect your skin from pimples and get clear skin.
- Massage a little bit of turmeric powder with few drops of milk on your skin. It will help you to prevent pimples.
- Applying a mixture of turmeric powder and sandalwood powder on your facial skin will help you to get fairer complexion.
- Drinking milk with a pinch of turmeric powder will help you to get rid of soar throat, cough, cold and fever.
- Turmeric helps in detoxification of liver
- Turmeric is also considered very helpful for managing weight.
- It is a good remedy for treating various skin problems.
- It can be used along with chilly powder and lemon for marinating fish or meat before cooking it. Turmeric powder is specifically used in such food items as it helps to keep food bacteria free and helps to reduce the odd smell of fish.
In this way, turmeric can prove to be very helpful and beneficial to our health in our day-to-day life. Turmeric can also be used as a substitute for many medicines. However, one should know how to make an efficient use of turmeric. Turmeric is used in India since ages and plays a significant role in Ayurveda. If you are coping with the health disorders like gallstone and bile disorder, avoid consuming turmeric. During pregnancy, consult your doctor if you want to consume turmeric to find out if it will suit you or not.
Hindu marriages are incomplete without turmeric. A newly married couple is always offered a Tilk of Haldi (Turmeric), Kumkum and Rice as a good omen. Not only marriages but also there are many such customs and traditions performed by Hindus where turmeric is used as a good omen. Turmeric is considered very holy as well as its yellow colour is also considered to be auspicious according to Hindu tradition. Make turmeric an inseparable part of your life and learn to enjoy its health benefits. This spice is easily available in market. However, make use of turmeric in its purest form.What are the health benefits of turmeric? How can turmeric be used for Beauty Purposes? Turmeric can be used as a Home Remedy for what ailments? Discuss here.