Piercing baby’s ears is a religious and cultural tradition in India. Some believe that piercing ears will keep the evil things off the baby. Some say there is scientific reason behind this and is good for health especially eyes. Well, today majority pierce their ears for its aesthetic value.
Some parents prefer getting the ears of their infants pierced very early while some prefer waiting for sometime. Some stay confused and want to learn when they should pierce their baby’s ears. If you think that piercing baby’s ears in first few months will be good, you should also learn how to take care of the little ear lobes and the risks involved.
When to Pierce Baby’s Ears
Traditionally baby’s ears are pierced in the first or the third year. In some states, the tradition is done within the month of the birth while people of some areas get their baby’s ears pierced following the culture of first or third year.
Many parents believe that piercing ears in the early months is better as the ear lobes are soft and there is less pain. But it is not just the moment the ears are pierced. You have to take care of the ears after that so that there is no infection and the surrounding areas get cleaned up regularly.
However, the doctors recommend that the piercing is safe after the first and the second round of DPT vaccinations. This is when the child is of three to six months. By this time your child will be capable enough to handle any kind of infection.
Who Should Pierce your Baby’s Ears?
If you follow the culture or the tradition, you will have to call your jeweler or to perform the work. However, it is advised to avoid these people especially if they do not have safe equipments with them.
Piercing of baby’s ears means any needle like substance will be pricked and that will come in contact with the inner layers of skin and blood as well. Therefore, piercing your baby’s ears must be done in hygienic conditions.
No matter whether you choose a doctor or a jeweler, check the hygienic condition of the clinic and the doctor before allowing him to pierce your baby’s ears.
Prepare yourself and your Baby
Here is how you should prepare yourself and your baby for piercing baby’s ears.
- Make sure your baby is in perfect health condition at the time of piercing her ears.
- Talk to the doctor or the jeweler beforehand.
- Though the pain is not much, if you want you can discuss with your doctor to give a mild painkiller to your child before piercing ears.
- Calm yourself down and be prepared that your baby will cry for sometime and will not let the second ear pierced easily.
- Choose fine gold wire for piercing because gold is skin friendly metal and there is no irritation or infection usually.
winter or not so humid weather to get your baby’s ears pierced.
- Keep with you something for your baby to distract. Take some sweets also.
- Dress your child with front buttons so that removing and dressing would be easier after ear piercing.
Piercing your baby’s ears may make her prone to infections. You will have to take care and check the ear lobes for some days after the ceremony. Do not allow the jeweler to use a marker or pen to mark the point on ear lobes. This may lead to infection. You also need to take care of the earrings when dressing and undressing your child for next few days.
You may also be interested in:
- The Indiaparenting Team