Growth is life, and watching children grow can be great fun. A fully developed child can be immense source of joy. And you surely know that in order to nurture healthy children, the vital body-building fluid called milk is a must. Milk helps to build a healthy body and strong teeth. More so because it has plenty of calcium. A white liquid secreted in the mammary glands of female cows, goats, sheep, and other livestock, milk is a highly nutritious diet-- widely consumed either in its natural form or in milk-based dairy products such as cheese and butter.
Sources of Milk
The most popularly used milk is cow's milk. In fact, most of us enjoy drinking cow's milk in its natural form. Milk from a variety of other domesticated animals like buffalo, goat, sheep, camel etc. is also edible.
Composition of milk
Milk contains 80% to 90% water. The rest 10% are the major nutrients required by the body like carbohydrates, fats, proteins, minerals and vitamins. Cow milk contains 3.5% to 5% fat. Milk also contains minerals like calcium, phosphorus which are in plenty and potassium, sodium, iodine in traces. It is an excellent source of Vitamin A, B, D, E and K. Carbohydrate acts as a sweetener and is a major source of energy.
You might be knowing.
A cup of milk provides 300 mg of calcium while a cup of yoghurt gives 300- 400 mg and cottage cheese (Paneer) 75-150 mg. A litre of milk supplies as much calcium as 21 eggs. Milk products like butter contains 82% fat, cream contains 18% fat and whipped cream has 30% to 36% fat.
- Ice cream, a popular frozen dessert, is made of milk, cream and flavouring agents.
- When chilled cream is churned gently we get butter leaving buttermilk, which is a nutritious drink. Yes, it is the same butter stolen by Lord Krishna.
- Yoghurt and cheese are fermented milk products.
- Dried non-fat milk, condensed and evaporated milk (also known as milk powder).
- Dried milk is made from skim or whole milk that is concentrated through vacuum evaporation.
Despite all these advantages of milk, we know your kid makes a big fuss over the morning glass of milk. Well, would you like to convince him of the gains of milk by making some likeable dessert out of milk?
You can make ice cream of your favourite flavour. Start searching for the home made ice cream recipes.
You can also take fresh milk cream and whip it lightly. Add some fruits and nuts and flavour with vanilla or any other essence. Drinking buttermilk during summers is good for your child's digestive system. Shrikhand, the popular sweet dish made of freshly hung curd, can be given to the child. Milk shakes yes, the yummy ones-- in different flavours of chocolate, banana, mango, strawberry, are very good breakfast drinks. Souffles are also made with milk.
Now, stop worrying about your child's fuss over milk and call him/her in the kitchen. As an after-school spare time activity, try this milk-based recipe. Take care when the little one watches the demo.
Making Fresh Paneer (cottage cheese)
Boil the milk in a large vessel . Once the milk starts boiling, squeeze the juice of a lemon and add to the milk. We observe that the milk starts curdling. When the curdled milk oozes out water, let it cool. After some time take a clean piece of muslin cloth, pour the curdled milk into it and hang the cloth after tying a knot on it. Hang it for 3-4 hours until all the water is drained out, take out this freshly made Paneer in a bowl. It is ready to be put into a vegetable or a sandwich.
- Milk - 1 litre
- Lemon - 1
- Wet muslin cloth
Milk is a complete food as it gives energy, helps in growth and prevents many diseases.
It should be taken twice or thrice a day and a cup of milk mixed with honey, taken before going to sleep at night is very good for your child's health. So, next time your child says `no' to milk, just say -- One glass of milk a day, keeps illnesses away.