Ganesh Chaturthi is a festival that brings people of all religion and status together. It is celebrated with great enthusiasm by the Hindus and many bring the idol home to worship Lord Ganesh. Read on to learn how you can perform Ganesh Chaturthi Puja at home.
Ganesh Chaturthi is celebrated with dedication and great devotion all over India. People bring home idols of Lord Ganesh to celebrate the festival and worship the Lord in a special way. Some keep the idol for a day and half, while some keep for 5, 7 or 11 days depending on their commitment or family tradition.
On the last day of worship the idol is taken out in procession with pomp and show and immersed traditionally (Visarjan
) in flowing water which is sea or river or even a lake or pond. The procession is colourful and musical and people dance merrily.
Why is Ganesh Chaturthi Celebrated?
Ganesh Chaturthi is celebrated on the fourth day of the month of Bhadrapad
which usually falls between August and September. The devotees of Lord Ganesh believe that Lord Ganesh comes down on earth to bestow his blessings on this holy day. Ganesh Chaturthi is one of the popular festivals in India and there are several other reasons why it is celebrated. Lord Ganesh is a popular God and is said to bestow his blessing on anyone who approaches him with clean heart. People believe that he is the only God who can remove all obstacles and is known as ‘Vighna-Harta
’ and he is the giver of fortune ‘Sukha-Karta
’ as well as helps to avoid natural calamities.
Things Needed for Ganesh Chaturthi Puja
Here are the things which you will need for Ganesh Chaturthi
- An idol of Lord Ganesh, which should be preferably an eco-friendly idol so that you can celebrate Ganesh Chaturthi the eco-friendly way.
- Chandan or sandalwood paste.
- Red flowers, preferably Hibiscus flowers.
- Incense sticks.
- Durva grass.
- Modaks or any sweet made at home after taking bath and without having any food.
- Some fruits.
- A Chaurang or elevated table to place the idol.
- A cloth to cover the table and things to decorate it like lights.
- Diya to light in front of the idol for Aarti.
Preparation for Ganesh Chaturthi Puja at Home
Sweep and wipe clean your house. Bring the idol of Ganesh at home and you can invite your friends and relatives for the Puja. Let your entire family gather at the time of Puja. Recite Ganesh Shlokas
to welcome the Lord in your house.
How to do Ganesh Chaturthi Puja at Home
Many families invite Pandits
to do Ganesh Chaturthi Puja at home so that they can perform the Puja of Lord Ganesh the right way. For any Puja or Vrat
you need two things – cleanliness and devotion. This will help you get the blessings of Lord Ganesh.
- Clean your house and take bath. Wear fresh clothes and get ready for the puja.
- Prepare the Ganesh mandap with coconut or banana leaves. You can use mango leaves and flowers also to decorate it. Some decorate it with leaves of the Ashoka tree.
- A pot filled with water and rice is installed near the idol of Lord Ganesh.
- Now place the idol of Lord Ganesh saying ‘Om Ganeshay Namah’.
- Start the Puja by chanting 108 names of Lord Ganesh or chant simple Ganesh mantras.
- Light the Diya or lamp and offer Aarti to the Lord by singing hymns especially dedicated to Ganesh or Ganesh Aarti.
- Offer Naivaidya of special recipes and fruits to Ganesh Jee.
Rituals of Ganesh Chaturthi Puja
There is a significance of number 21 in this Puja and so people offer 21 Durva
grass blades and 21 Modaks
. 21 signify – 5 organs of perception, 5 organs of action, 5 vital airs, 5 elements and the mind.
However, when you are performing Ganesh Chaturthi Puja at home you can be flexible. All you need to have is clean body and mind and the thing that is most important is devotion and not the ritual. So, try to keep things simple and concentrate on the Puja.How to do Ganesh Chaturthi Puja at home? Which things are required for doing Ganesh Chaturthi Puja at home? What are the benefits of performing Ganesh Chaturthi Puja at home? Discuss here.