On completion of 3 months and during the 4th month of the growth and development of your little one, he or she will be reaching many milestones. Find out the developments that you can expect in your 3 months old newborn.
Your little one is growing more and more alert every day. She is beginning to express herself with coos, gurgles and laughs. Here we shall take a look at the developments that you can expect in your 3 months old baby.
Growth and Development of a Newborn in 4th Month
Weight of your little one has now doubled the birth weight. In case you are concerned whether she is getting enough of breastmilk, you can get in touch with your doctor to learn about its signs.
- Apart from her birth weight, she has also become more dexterous and has developed good control over her hands. She can now shake a rattle, grab them and bring them close to her mouth.
- She can now focus her eyes on any brightly coloured objects hanging near her. It is still difficult for her to identify colour contrasts. Her vision has now sharpened by 20/40. She can now follow movements of people and objects around her.
- She is now exploring the world around her tasting everything on her way. So, make sure to keep away things that are dangerous and ensure the objects are clean. You must keep away all the small things that she might swallow and increase choking hazards.
- Her head is probably not wobbling any longer. She can keep her head right up without any support. But some babies may still need support.
- She may start rolling on her tummy and get back to her back very soon.
By this time you should be able to enjoy a better night's sleep. Your baby can now sleep for 8 hours at a stretch. She may also need 2 more naps all through the day. You can expect her to sleep for 16 hours a day.
Baby’s Feeding Pattern
While you may be eager to start solids, your doctor may suggest you to wait for 2 more months before you introduce solids
to her. However, before you begin with solids, you need to ensure she has good neck control and can support it upright.
Her first food must be rich in breast milk or formula solution if it is not possible to give breastmilk. Ideally many paediatrician recommend exclusive breastfeeding up to 6 months and to introduce solids only after baby enters the 7th month of her growth and development.
Your baby is in the process of developing herself. She begins to notice reaction of people around her. She will feel delighted repeating an action like dropping things and watch you picking them up.
She now communicates with laughter, squeals, oohs and gurgles. She shall be using her face to communicate different types of emotions. She is also beginning to read your expressions and voice.
Your Visit to the Doctor
Now that your little one has turned 3 months old, you should visit the paediatrician. Your doctor shall be looking for the following:
- Sleep patterns
- Vision and hearing abilities
- Weight and height
- Breastfeeding patterns
If you have any concerns or queries, list them and bring up to your doctor.
For Your Information
Reading to your baby or singing to her shall be some wonderful pass times. This shall be a great way you can gel with your baby.
Your baby may soon start rolling on her stomach. So make sure the bed is well guarded so that she does not roll and fall. Enjoy watching your baby grow and develop into an independent individual!How to stimulate the senses of 3-month-old newborn baby? Which growth milestones are observed in a 3-month-old newborn baby? How to encourage milestones in babies? Discuss here.