Your 2-month-old baby is very active. Find out about the growth and developmental milestones that you can expect in your 2-month-old newborn.
Cheers! Your baby is 2 months old now. He or she is growing every single day and surprising you with his or her new activities. The good news is you can now expect him to follow a schedule and give yourself the much needed rest.
Important Growth Milestones in a 2-Month-Old Baby
Here we have discussed some milestones that you may expect your baby to reach this month. Take a look below:
- You may expect his or her innate reflexes such as getting startled to fade away with time now.
- You can also find strength of his or her neck to improve. He may now be able to hold it straight and you may notice very little of the head wobbling now.
- You can expect the strength of his or her upper part of the body to improve significantly now.
- If you make your baby lie on his or her stomach, you will find him or her resting stomach and kicking his or her legs and arms.
- His or her eye-hand coordination has also started getting better. He or she is now capable of opening and closing his or her palms and takes the rattle straight to his or her mouth.
- Well, even though your baby’s sleep patterns have not matured yet, they are definitely better.
- Since your baby can take more milk at a time now, you can expect him or her to sleep for 5-6 hours at a stretch at night. Thus, you too can enjoy some good sleep too.
- If you find your baby crying at night, you may check if he or she needs his or her diaper to be changed or if he or she is hungry.
- Do not stimulate your baby much and keep the lights off. Take him or her in your arms and bring him or her back to the crib once he or she is asleep.
- You can also expect your baby to take short naps every 2 hours during the day time.
- Your baby is on his or her way of developing eyesight and hearing abilities. You can expect him to turn his head upon hearing your voice or with the sounds of music.
- Buy brightly coloured toys for your baby that he or she will love to stare at and play with. It is easier for babies at this age to look at brightly contrasted objects.
How to Encourage Newborn’s Development
Here are some tips for encouraging your newborns development.
Talk to Your Newborn
Your newborn is now in the process of becoming a unique and individual. This is the time when doctors say your baby is coming out of the "shell” and is slowly reacting to the world around him. Thus, talking and smiling back is very important to help your baby develop socially.
Your baby is now using vowel sounds or cooing to communicate with you now. It is a good time to tell stories and narrate the activities that you are doing now. You may say things like, "look I am feeding you now", "look I am now changing your diapers". This shall help him or her learn communicate better with you. Communicating with your baby shall help bonding
with him better.
As your baby will stating cooing, he or she will no longer use crying as the only means of communication. If your baby suddenly starts crying exceeding the limit, you need to have a talk with the doctor. There may be cases like reflux or other medical issues behind it.
Remember every child is different and follows his own developmental paths. So, if you think he has not attained some of the milestones yet, there is no need to trigger the panic button. It just may be he or she needs some more time. Keep your doctor updated about your baby’s developments and talk to him about your concerns. This shall help you enjoy some peace of mind and see your baby grow up to a healthy and happy child.What can a 2-month-old baby do? How to stimulate a 2-month-old baby’s development? Does telling stories help in the growth and development of a 2-month-old baby? Discuss here.