You are sleep-deprived and tired
with your daily work schedule, but your child just refuses to go to sleep. What
should you do? Read on to learn a few tricks that can help you make your child
sleep well all through the night.
If you have a small kid you must be well aware of the problems you have
to face at night when you want to take rest and sleep well. Getting your child
adjusted to a bedtime routine is also a very difficult task, but is one that
you need to accomplish as soon as possible. After all, the benefits of
good sleep are many. There are some tricks that you can try to make your child
fall asleep thereby allowing you to get proper rest and sleep.
Help your Child fall Asleep with the following 8 Tips:
- Follow a bedtime routine â You can start this right from the time your child is few months old. The sooner you start making him sleep at a fixed time, the sooner he will get into the routine. You can do this by making him follow a strict pre-bed routine: brush his teeth, change clothes, read out a story to him and then close your eyes and fall asleep.
- Create a peaceful environment â When you want your child to sleep, you have to pay attention to the environment also. If you create an environment which is calm and quiet, it will ease your child and help him sleep well and soon. You can give your child his favourite stuffed toy to sleep with.
- Involve your child- When you engage your child in the preparation of bedtime, he is less likely to create a fuss when you actually put him to bed. Let your child choose his own night clothes or pyjamas and arrange his blanket on his bed.
- Stick to the routine â Children may not follow what you teach them, but they will follow everything you do. Therefore, it is very important to stick to the rules and routine yourself.
- Lessen the time of afternoon nap â If your child takes an afternoon nap, make sure it is not late and the time period is also according to the age of your child. Make it a routine to help your child have some physical activity in the evening so that he gets tired and sleeps well.
- Avoid singing or rocking your baby to sleep â Let your child sleep in bed, instead of a rocker and do not rock him or sing a song to him as a routine to go to sleep. This will be annoying if your child wakes up in the middle of the night.
- Let your child pick the story â If your child likes to hear a story before sleeping, you can give him the leverage of picking up the story he wants to be read out to him that night. Also, if you fix the number of stories that are to be read at bedtime and follow it rigorously, your child will also understand.
- Put your child to sleep before he gets overly tired â Although it is good for the child to get tired so that he sleeps well, make sure you start the bedtime process early before your child shows signs of weariness, as that will make him cranky and disinclined to listen to you.
child had problems in falling asleep even after doing all you can, he may be
suffering from some sleep disorder. It is best to consult your doctor at the earliest if you suspect
anything is wrong. Since children are different, finding a good sleeping
routine can be frustrating. But once you find what comforts your child, you
will never be deprived of a good nightâs sleep again and both you and your
child will have apt rest and sound sleep.
your child create a ruckus every time you try to put him to sleep? What issues
do you face when trying to put your child to sleep? How can you get your child
to sleep? Discuss here.