Rett syndrome is a kind of Autism spectrum disorder. Though autism prevails in males rett syndrome is observed more in females, know more about its causes, symptoms and treatments.
Autism spectrum disorder is caused mostly in children during the first three years of life. The important thing which is needed to treat this disorder like autism is its early identification. It is very necessary to know the kind of autism spectrum disorder the child is facing to mold him or her according to it. Though path of parenting an autistic child is difficult, it is not impossible. Hard work of parents has proved that there is no such disorder which can not be cured with the medicine of love and care.
Rett syndrome is one of the kinds of autism spectrum disorder or pervasive developmental disorder. Though autism is observed more in male children, female children are more prone to rett syndrome. Read on to know more about rett syndrome.
What is rett syndrome?
Rett syndrome is a disorder related to neurological disorder. The development in children is normal at the beginning but it is slowed down later. They may experience loss of some of their abilities like walking, speaking certain words etc. They also develop a certain habit of repeated hand movements like flapping, clapping, waving, twisting, patting etc. In the further stages of rett syndrome child may also find difficult to perform motor functions. The child may also be unable to perform proper hand eye co-ordination.
Causes of rett syndrome
The researchers have regarded that the mutation of gene found on X chromosome is the main cause of rett syndrome. X chromosome is the determinant of sex of an individual. Chromosome carries genes which pass the genetic information and it is like a thread. Mutation of genes on X chromosome causes some structural changes in it. This results in development of new features which are different from parent gene. This condition cause harm to developing brain of the infant and the symptoms of rett syndrome can be seen.
Symptoms of rett syndrome
Here are some of the commonly observed symptoms of rett syndrome. Once the symptoms are observed, early treatment is necessary.
- Poor language development
- Difficulty to speak
- Difficulty in understanding their language
- Development of a particular habit of doing some hand movement repetitively
- Loss of ability to perform certain activities
- Difficulty in hand-eye co-ordination
- Back problem (scoliosis)
- Mild or severe attacks (seizures) caused which may occur in moderation during teenage
Treatments for rett syndrome
Though rett syndrome can not be cured, lots of improvements can be observed in the children after suitable treatment. The treatment totally depends on the symptoms of the child. Here are some of the ways to treat children suffering form rett syndrome.
Researchers conclude that person affected by rett syndrome can live a better life. They are also undertaking the detailed study of this disorder so that they can develop more ways to treat it. Other organisations like National Institute of Neurological Disorder and Stroke (NINDS), National Institute of Child Health and Human Development (NICHD) are putting all of their efforts for researching on rett syndrome.
- Intake of drugs and medications prescribed by an expert are helpful to control the attacks. They are also helpful to deal with the breathing problems
- Dealing with certain problems like scoliosis may require surgeries to be carried out. However some exercises may also prove to be helpful under experts guidance
- Using different therapies like speech therapy for building language, occupational therapy for improving normal activities, hydrotherapy and physiotherapy for developing the motor functions of child etc.
- Using equipments like splints for controlling repetitive hand movements and braces to deal with scoliosis
- Following proper diet plan for the child to maintain proper weight and supply of appropriate nutrition
- Giving specific training to the child with the help of experts to improve the academic performance
- Using pictures, big letters and words, diagrams to improve the grasping skills
With the overall effort of organisations and experts it will be possible to introduce the best treatment for rett syndrome in the near future. All you need is a little hope and patience to help your child for dealing with it. Treating an autistic child according to the symptoms of autism can prove to be miraculous.