As your baby grows and develops, you will need to incorporate nutritious food into your diet. Find out what should be the diet during fifth month of pregnancy.
As you reach your fifth month of pregnancy, you will need to become more health conscious. You will need to eat healthily and ensure that your calories are coming from the right sources. You need food for both yourself and the baby. Mothers must ensure that they consume foods which are healthy and nutritious for the baby.
Diet For Fifth Month of Pregnancy
Have a quick look at the pregnancy diet tips to be followed in the fifth month.
Add Calcium to Your Diet
During the fifth month of pregnancy, you will need to start including more of calcium in your diet. To help your baby grow strong teeth and bones, include more of calcium, vitamin D and minerals in your diet. Extra calories in your diet should come from lean protein, sources of calcium and whole grains. Avoid gaining extra calories from sugary food items, added fats or only from carbohydrates. Foods rich in calcium are also required as they help in development of the baby’s skeletal system.
Intake of Fluids
At least try to drink 3 glasses of milk during your fifth month of pregnancy as milk is a very good source of calcium. Avoid drinking alcohol and caffeinated drinks. You can limit your coffee intake to two cups a day. Drink 6 to 8 glasses of water daily. Both the mother and the baby will need fluids so keep yourself well hydrated.
Constipation is also one of the problems experienced during the fifth month of pregnancy, so water intake becomes all the more important. Drinking water also helps in preventing bladder infections which are common during pregnancy. Drinking fresh juices and water helps to detoxify your body. Drinking mango juice and sugarcane juice during this time is good as they are rich sources of carbohydrates. It will provide strength to the pregnant mother to carry the child and during labour. Mango is very rich in iron also.
Having Nutritious Diet during Pregnancy
Here is how you can make your diet more nutritious during the fifth month of pregnancy.
- Try to eat as much as fresh fruits and vegetables as possible. They supply essential minerals and vitamins to your body.
- Pulses and cereals are rich sources of protein which are required for the growth of the baby. Nuts are also rich in protein. Additionally nuts also provide fiber and are rich in antioxidants.
- Eat high fiber foods as a fiber rich diet can have many benefits for pregnant women. Include fiber rich foods in your diet even if you feel that it lacks taste or variety.
Foods to be Avoided during Pregnancy
Some food items are considered unsafe for pregnant women. Read on to find about the food items which should avoided during pregnancy.
- Avoid carbonated drinks and canned foods.
- Whenever you are having snacks or having meals, avoid foods high in salt such as chips, pickles and olives.
- You must not smoke or drink.
- Avoid eating raw and undercooked meat or any kind of seafood as they sometimes contain harmful bacteria. Do not eat raw eggs also.
- Do not eat too much chocolate as chocolate also contains caffeine which is not good for pregnant women.
- As you will start putting on more weight during this stage, avoid buttery and fatty foods.
Remain stress free and enjoy your pregnancy experience. Consult your doctor about the ideal physical activity and exercise for you. Take care of yourself as you need to always remember that now there is a life growing and breathing inside you and you have to nurture and protect it.Why should pregnant women increase their intake of calcium rich foods in fifth month? How can pregnant women make their diet more nutritious? What kind of food should be avoided during pregnancy? Discuss here.