Keeping children safe whenever they go outside is a responsibility of every parent. Read on to learn how you can teach traffic rules and road safety to kids.
Learning how to cross roads safely is important for all kids. Being road smart does not come naturally. You need to teach your children how to be safe as pedestrians and how to be safe passengers when travelling in car or bus. It is not just enough to give instructions because children learn from what they observe their parents doing. So, the first thing you need to do is model safe behaviour.
Tips to Teach Traffic Rules and Road Safety to Kids
Here are some things which you need to tell your kids while teaching them traffic rules and road safety.
When you are walking or crossing roads make sure your child holds your hand or hangs on to you. Always cross the roads making use of the zebra crossing lines and always check whether the traffic lights allow you to cross or not. If you follow these rules constantly your child will watch and follow suit. You can also keep explaining what you did and what precautions you took while crossing the road to your child.
Teach your children safe habits of biking and take following precautions always.
- Let your child always bike when you or any adult from your family is around.
- Make sure the brakes of the bike are working effectively.
- Check whether your child is wearing cycle helmet or not.
- If your child is cycling in poor visibility area or at night, make sure the lights work properly.
- Do not forget that children will do only if they see you follow safety rules.
Bus Safety Tips for Children
Here are some points which you need to highlight while teaching your child about road safety.
- Walk to the bus stop with your kid and wait till it arrives
- Teach kids to board the bus or get down of the bus only when it stops completely.
- If your child needs to cross the road after getting down the school bus, teach him to take 5 - 6 steps away from the bus and make sure that the bus driver sees him crossing.
- Teach your child to stay seated inside the bus and follow the instructions of the bus driver.
Car Safety Tips for Kids
Make sure you follow these safety rules while travelling by a car with your kids.
- Your child sits in the back seat
- In case of small kids make use of child restraint or booster seat so that it fits them
- Everyone makes use of the seat belts and restraints are tightly fit
- Children get in and out of the car from the footpath side
Safety for Kids around Roads and Driveways
Remember your children need to be careful and safe when around the house also. However, you should always make it certain that your child plays in well fenced play area which should be away from roads and driveways also. And it is ideal to monitor them when they are playing outdoors and never leave them alone. But, you need to teach them what to do when a ball, toy or pet goes onto the road while playing with it.
- Ask them to wait for the ball to stop
- Walk around the footpath till they reach near the ball
- Watch out for traffic and follow the rules that are followed while crossing the road to pick up the ball
- Let your child have a company of an adult
These are the lessons you must teach your children as early as possible so that accidents are prevented and they come home safely to you every day.
What precautions should parents take while crossing road with kids? At what age should parents teach traffic and road safety rules to kids? What are the simple ways to teach traffic and road safety rules to kids? Discuss here.