What are the advantages of bottle feeding
- Bottle-fed babies need to be fed less frequently since it is more difficult to digest.
- If you are bottle feeding your baby, you know exactly how much milk your baby has had.
- You do not need to be present each time the baby has to be fed; some other family member or friend can also feed the baby.
- Your social life does not need to be curtailed. You can resume your normal life.
Bottle-fed babies need to be fed less often
If for some reason breastfeeding
is not an option, a woman can consider bottle-feeding. There is a school of thought that sees some advantages in bottle-feeding. For instance, formula
milk is not as easily digested as mother's milk. Consequently, the baby feels satiated for longer periods and this extends the time between feedings
at an earlier stage.
I know exactly how much milk my baby has
In the case of bottle-feeding, a
mother knows exactly what her baby's intake of milk is, whereas a nursing
mother often worries that her baby has not had enough.
Anyone can feed the baby
Bottle-feeding gives a mother more
freedom, as she is not tied down to feeding times. Anybody can feed the
baby if given the bottle and the formula. Fathers and older siblings can
also participate in feeding the baby and share the burden of caring for
You can resume "normal" life sooner
- Unlike the breastfeeding mother, the bottle-feeding mother can dress as she pleases. A nursing mother will have to wear something that can accommodate a hungry baby.
- A nursing mother is limited to only using those methods of birth control that are not harmful to the baby. This restriction does not apply to bottle-feeding mothers.
- A bottle-feeding mother does not have to be as particular about a nutritious diet.
- She can have a few drinks and take an aspirin without worrying about what effect it will have on the baby.
- She can begin to diet six weeks after delivery.
- Bottle-feeding is more convenient and less embarrassing in public.
Lovemaking is sometimes not easy for
the breastfeeding woman because the hormonal changes associated with lactation
leaves her vagina dry. In addition, breastfeeding can lead to sore nipples
and leaky breasts, which are not conducive to lovemaking.
You may also be interested in:
- The Indiaparenting Team