Massage becomes essential during pregnancy at times. It might be a luxury for some women, but it is a bit essential for some. Find out whether massage is safe during pregnancy or not and what kind of massage you are suggested to go through. Read on to gather detailed information.
Massage is definitely a luxury that you shall want to indulge in once in a while. However, you should carefully measure the risks along with the benefits of massage in pregnancy.
When it comes to the pregnancy massages, they last for around an hour. The massages are designed keeping in mind the condition of a pregnant woman. Experts also use pillows designed specifically for the pregnant women. These pillows ensure you are absolutely comfortable while going for the massages. These massages which are done by prenatal massage experts shall appear especially helpful in the last trimester
Benefits Associated with Pregnancy Massage
If you are planning to undergo a massage, you must seek your doctor’s approval before that. You must get massage done only from a certified prenatal masseur.
There are handful benefits linked with pregnancy
massages. In the studies conducted so far not much negative effects have been identified, so, here are lists of benefits you may expect during pregnancy.
- You shall be able to alleviate pain in your back or leg.
- You shall be able to keep down your anxiety levels.
- You can enjoy better sleep.
- Your norepinephrine level that causes stress also reduces.
- Massage helps in secretion of the feel good hormones dopamine and serotonin.
- With decrease in cortisol levels, your stress levels decrease too.
- You can enjoy better moods with massages.
Apart from the benefits discussed above, you may also benefit with an improved immune system.
Adhering to Safe Techniques
When it comes to the massages, there are around hundreds of them. While some of them are designed to reduce pain, others are designed to improve your immunity. Some of the safe techniques followed in most of them are as follows:
- You can enjoy deep tissue massages. The firm strokes shall help relaxing your muscles.
- Swedish massage is specially designed to improve mobility in your joints.
- Shiatsu refers to the acupressure technique, where pressure is applied on specific areas. This help in stimulating energy of your body.
- Application of manual pressure in different points shall help alleviating pains in different parts of your body.
How Safe are the Massages
When it comes to suggestions from doctors, they tend to differ in opinions about massages in pregnancy. Also, most of the experts in massage parlours are not certified that increases the risk factors. Relation between pregnancy and massage has not been studied thoroughly in the high class clinics, thus the controversies surrounding the negative and positive effects cannot be overlooked completely.
There have been several instances when women suffered miscarriages
after going for a massage in the first trimester. However, there has been no study that could successfully conclude the relation between pregnancy, miscarriage and massage. Since, miscarriages are very common in the first trimester, it is better to avoid massages of any kind at this stage.
When You Must Avoid Massages
Even though massages may not be potentially harmful in pregnancy, these are the conditions when you must avoid massages of any kind. Take a look:
- When you experience nausea, vomiting or severe morning sickness.
- If doctor has labelled your pregnancy as a high risk one.
- If you had previous cases of placental abruption or preterm labour.
So, apart from these conditions, you are generally not at any risk if you opt for massage. However, you need to ensure the therapists are trained and certified. You can ask for the training and certificates before getting any service from a parlour. You can also seek recommendation from your doctor. You can rest your mind to peace when you visit the experienced and qualified ones.Is it safe to go for massage during pregnancy? What precautions should be taken while undergoing massage during pregnancy? When is massage not recommended for pregnant women? Discuss here.