Is our Indian education system good enough to encourage talented students? Does our Indian education system require modification? Lots of students have fallen pray to the education system in India. Read on to know more about the pros and cons of education system in India.
It is a fact that burden of studies is put on children by none other than their parents. All parents have very high expectations from their children. It is good to have expectations. However, it is wrong to put burden of expectations on children which are difficult for them to fulfill.
Not only parents, but also our education system, teachers, universities, entrance exams play an equal role in pressurizing students. Such situation is thereby responsible for the increasing number of suicidal cases in students. Studies show that out of three suicide cases committed every 15mins in India, one is a student. It is very well demonstrated in the movie ‘3 Idiots’ how students fall prey to our education system. Have a quick look at the pros and cons of the education system in India.
Pros of Education System in India
Here are some pros of education system in India.
- Indian education system is career oriented.
- Education is cheaper in India as compared to other places in world.
- There is a lot of scope where students can select stream of their own choice after secondary education.
- Discipline comes handy with the career oriented education system in India.
- Along with Indians it also provides opportunities to foreigners to complete higher studied in India.
- Indian education system also has shades of Indian culture in it which teaches students to respect education, teachers, mentors and parents.
Cons of Education System in India
Have a quick look at the cons of education systems in India which needs to be expelled from its roots.
- Though Indian education system is career oriented it does not focus on whether the student has learnt something out of it or not.
- There are good educational organisations in India. However, most of the time talented students do not get a chance to enter them as seats are sold to those who can pay big amount of money.
- The Indian way of teaching is very traditional where students feel scared to ask questions to their teachers. They also have to only follow what teacher says and do not even get chance to clear their doubts. This system is such that students have to mug-up formulas and laws only with the intention of passing out and not for learning.
- After secondary education, students have lot of career choices. However, the Indian society does not motivate students to choose alternative careers. Most of the students opt for the degrees like Engineering, MBA, and Medicine and as such the competition is very tough to get through it. Most of the students who take admissions for these degrees are only here because their parents want them to be here. And as such many of them have to face failure.
- The education system in India is not comprehensive enough to polish the hidden talent and motivate students to do something on their own. It is sometimes just about forcing student to follow the path which does not lead to their destination.
Changes in Current Education System
Here are some suggestions which can be made in our current education system.
- Making our education system learning oriented and not career oriented.
- Increase the number of scholarships given to motivate children who pursue careers of their choices and who are ready to work hard.
- Provide free counseling to students after they finish secondary education to allow them to decide which stream they want to choose.
- Organising counseling sessions for parents as well so that they do not force their children.
- Developing a comfortable environment where student are able to resolve their queries and do not study under fear, pressure or stress.
It is really a need of the day that our education system should be modified. It should focus on the overall development of child. Our current education system does not allow child to think on his own, it only teaches him or her to think like how his teacher thinks or whatever is written in books
. It does not give children a chance to apply their minds. As such study becomes burden for them. Looking at the current situation, it is a time for modifying our education system. At the same time it is necessary to allow children to pursue career of their own choice.