Today, people are recognizing the importance of fasting in life and it is becoming a popular trend these days to keep fasts on specific weekdays. Read on to learn about the significance of fasting on Thursdays and how this fasting can bring happiness and peace to your family.
According to Hindu mythology, everyday of the week is dedicated to one of the Hindu Gods or Goddess. Thursday, which is also known as Vrihaspativar
, is a day dedicated to Lord Vishnu. People prefer wearing yellow dress that day as yellow is the colour of the day and observe fasting throughout the day. Those who undertake Thursday Vrat
, take food only once in the entire day and they read out or tell stories that are exclusively told on Thursdays.
Benefits of Fasting on Thursday
Let us take a look at the significance of fasting
- Those who perform pooja and Vrat on Thursday are blessed with wealth and happiness in life.
- People who are looking for their life partners also find this Vrat useful as they are able to get ideal partners for their lives.
- Married couples get total happiness in their lives and all the obstacles of their life are removed by observing the Thursday fast.
- Goddess Laxmi helps and strengthens financial condition of the person and his or her family.
- The Thursday fasting is done to improve health of the person and his or her family members and is also undertaken for the longevity of the members of the family.
- It is believed that perfection comes in one’s life through Thursday fasting and one attains salvation and self satisfaction as well.
- Only Thursday fasting is believed to give the devotee benefits in spiritual and physical fields.
- Peace, happiness and success come in lives of family members.
- A person who keeps Thursday fast does not have any fear of enemies and no one is capable of harming one who fasts in any way.
- Spiritual fulfillment in life is possible without much effort.
- Unmarried boys and girls get partners of their desire if they keep Thursday fast.
- The person who keeps Thursday fast remains unaffected by evil spirits and black magic.
- Apart from religious and spiritual benefits, keeping fast one day every week helps maintain the physical balance of the body and at least one day the person remains cautious about what he or she is eating and how much.
- However, fasting helps get connected with the divine along with giving you manifold health benefits.
- Those who have carried out all possible weight loss programs should try Thursday fasting. They will get remarkable advantage and desired results faster and long lasting one as well.
- The fast helps keep control over mind and senses.
- Fasting keeps you feeling more energetic and light throughout the day.
Hindus believe that you should limit all your stimuli when you are fasting. You should also try to remain quiet all through the day. The main intention of observing fast on Thursdays is to feel light and sit comfortably on meditation. The wishes of all people who keep fasts on Thursdays with a clean heart get fulfilled.
Thursday fast can be started on the first Thursday that falls in the Shukla Paksha of any month. You should take bath early and wear yellow clothes and worship Lord Vishnu and Lord Brihaspati with yellow flowers.
Why do Hindus fast on Thursdays? What are the benefits of fasting on Thursdays? Thursday is dedicated to which Hindu Gods and Goddesses? Discuss here.
One of the main reasons why Rishis
insisted people to keep fasts is that people do not remember God in comfortable days. They only recall God
when they are in trouble. So, if people observed fasts on Thursday, they will remember Lord Vishnu at least once in the week and this will help them get benefited and blessed as well.