What diseases are regularly tested for even during a normal pregnancy
Some of the conditions routinely checked for in most normal pregnancies are Aids, Hepatitis B, Down's Syndrome, Neural Tube Defects, Rh Incompatibility and Rubella. The doctor can test for all these condition with blood samples, albeit taken at different times in the pregnancy.
When should I be worried about congenital diseases
Your baby has a higher chance of having congenital disease if he falls in any of the three reasons given below. Note that there could be many other reasons for congenital diseases also.
- Congenital diseases in the previous baby
- History of congenital anomalies in the family which are likely to be repeated
- Maternal age is above 35, then there is a higher chance of the baby getting Down's syndrome
Can birth defects be detected with regular blood tests
Studies have shown that 90 % of birth defects cannot be detected through prenatal blood tests. In order to isolate the remaining 10 % of the identifiable birth defects, there are four main types of tests: amniocentesis, chorionic villi sampling, certain blood tests like the Alphafeto-Protein (AFP) test, and ultrasound scans.
What do each of the diagnostic tests tell the doctor
There are various conditions or diseases that a doctor can identify by conducting different diagnostic tests during the pregnancy. These tests can indicate the possibility of birth defects in the foetus or conditions in the mother's health that may lead to problem pregnancies. Once any potential problem has been identified, appropriate steps can be taken to deal with it.