You may cope with sore throat if you eat too much of oily foods or have lot of ice cream or cold drink. However, if you want to treat your sore throat immediately, you can try some home remedies. Read on to find more about treating sore throat with the help of home remedies.
Sore throat occurs commonly in children between the age group of 5 and 15. But it also affects older people. However, sore throat needs to be treated as soon as possible so that to avoid further infection like tonsillitis, sinus, fever
and rashes, ear infection and if the infection is severe, it can also affect kidney and result in rheumatic fever as well. Sore throat is also caused by person to person contact.
Symptoms of Sore Throat
- Pain at the time of swallowing anything, including liquids
- Loss of appetite
- Pain in ear at the time of swallowing
- Body pain and general feeling of illness
- Red and swollen glands in the neck
- Swelling in tonsil glands
Home Remedies of Sore Throat
- Gargle with warm water with salt in it twice or thrice during the day.
- Take proper rest and drink extra fluid, preferably warm. You can have soups, soft cooked eggs, mashed potatoes, cooked cereals, soft fruits and fluids or food that are soft and easy to swallow.
- Garlic is a natural antibiotic and will help in speedy recovery as well as remove the bacteria and help you get rid of infection.
- Avoid eating spicy and cold food and drinks.
- Stay away from strong odours, smoke, pollution and products that may irritate your throat causing more discomfort.
- You can prepare tea by adding a small pinch of cayenne pepper, one teaspoon of apple cider vinegar, 1/4 lemon juice and one teaspoon of honey to sooth your sore throat. You can take four cups of this tea in a day.
- Sage sprays that are specially created for sore throat can be taken.
- If sore throat gets converted into irritation in your throat and causes cough, you can take herbal throat lozenges also to sooth your throat.
- Cut a lemon into two pieces. Put some salt and pepper powder and press it with a spoon so that it enters into the lemon. Now heat the lemon in microwave or even a low gas flame. You can slowly lick the warm lemon and this will sooth your throat and will help you recover your appetite too.
Usually sore throat is cured in a weak or less depending on the severity of the infection. If you are not getting any relief from the home remedies
within one day and the problem is worsened, it is better to see a doctor. The doctor prescribes antibiotics and medicines that are perfect for the infection and will help you recover in lesser days also.
When you are taking antibiotics you need to pay more attention to your diet. This is because the high antibiotics have their side effects and you will feel weakness after the course of the medicine is complete. You can also consult your doctor for some dietary supplement if it is essential.
Home remedies for sore throat
can be tried several times a day. You should be prepared that these will take some time to help you recover. But they are worth all the time and effort because they do not have any side effects and when you are fit you will find yourself ready for your daily activities.