If the right precautions are taken, Coronavirus can be prevented. Find out what Coronavirus is and what kind of preventive measures should be taken by kids to keep it at bay.
Coronavirus is being described as a pneumonia-like virus, initiated in China, it is putting people around the world on edge. There are records of over 20,500 cases of coronavirus already, Out of which, 2,790 are in critical condition cases and 427 deaths. Dr. William Schaffner (MD, at Vanderbilt University Medical Center ) said, “There’s still a lot that we don’t know about this virus, including how easily it can spread from person to person.”
Should Parents be Worried?
When parents come across such contagious viruses, they start worrying and thinking about the worst possibilities. As scary as this virus sounds, the world’s best doctors are working towards effective solutions and precautions. So, parents are advised to:
- Not to panic
- Stay updated
- Understand that there’s a test for it and also a curing procedure
- Do your research properly, do not believe everything you hear or read
- There are steps to take for prevention
Steps to Prevent CoronavirusExperts are still trying to figure out how exactly the virus is transmitted or transferred. But at this point, you are advised to take the same steps you would take to protect your child from the common cold or flu.
1) Encourage kids to wash their hands frequently and thoroughly with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
2) Hands should be washed before children eat, after they use the bathroom, come inside from outdoors or touch something dirty like garbage.
3) If you see someone coughing or sneezing, try to keep your kids as far away from them as possible.
4) Make sure that everyone in your house (including yourself) has received the flu shot after consulting a doctor and under his or her supervision.
5) Teach your child general hygiene strategies, like always coughing or sneezing into a tissue.
6) Avoid close human contact with people who might be sick.
7) Stay home when you are sick.
8) Make sure your kids eat healthy and home-cooked meals.
9) Avoid taking your children to the crowded places strictly until proper directives are issued in public interest by government authorities.
10) Make sure that you, your children and other family members wear a mask covering the nose and mouth in case you have to go outdoors with them due to any unavoidable circumstances.
11) Make sure that you maintain cleanliness at home and encourage your children to follow personal hygiene.
12) Tell your children that they should not touch their nose or mouth without washing their hands thoroughly.
The term coronavirus refers to a family of viruses; “think of them as a large group of cousins, who are similar in many ways,” said Dr.Schaffner. Many live exclusively in animals, but according to the 2019 Novel, Coronavirus can infect people. Unlike other, more mild coronaviruses, this one is proving to be dangerous. Pregnant women are more likely to end up in the hospital from the flu than women who are not expecting. And children younger than 5, are at a higher risk of developing flu-related complications.
How has Coronavirus Affected India?
The epidemic of the Coronavirus that started in China has found a route to reach other countries as well, and India is one of them. After two positive cases of students who returned to Kerala from Wuhan, the third case was reported recently. With another Keralite who tested positive for the infection, he returned from Wuhan university on Monday. Around 1,999 people, who travelled from China and other affected countries, are under observation in Kerala. The government made it clear that people under observation at home must stay indoors and keep away from making public appearances during the 28 day incubation period.
As prevention is always considered to be better than cure
, we must panic less and focus more on preventive measures.What is Coronavirus? Should parents be concerned? How to prevent Coronavirus? Discuss here.