Milk is said to be a part of a balanced diet so having a glass of milk daily is must for kids. Find out the interesting ways to encourage your kids to have milk.
Are you worried about your child not drinking enough milk? Well, it is natural for you to be concerned about your child refusing the main source of calcium and other necessary minerals that shall ensure proper growth and development.
Milk offers the major source of vital nutrients, energy and protein that your little one requires during her growing years.
Tips to Encourage Your Child to Have Milk
Do not worry if you think your child is not taking the required amount of milk every day. Here are some tips that might encourage her to drink more milk.
- Do not offer milk in large amounts. It is better to offer her milk in small portions all through the day. Small servings may encourage her to finish up fast.
- You are a role model for your child and this holds true in this case as well. You can set good example by drinking milk in front of her.
- You can also encourage her to get herself a glass of milk.
- To make it more interesting, you can add different flavours to it. Saffron, cinnamon, vanilla essence, rose essence, dry fruit powder, strawberry squash etc. shall make her more interested in the drink.
- To make it more interesting, you can offer health drinks in attractive glass or mugs.
- Rather than encouraging her to take milk every day, you can prepare different dishes like smoothies, puddings and soups made of milk.
- If your child is not keen on milk you can include other dairy products like yogurt, cheese, cottage cheese, butter, ghee etc. in her diet.
You must not give up on milk, as children who refuse to take this health drink is reported to suffer from low bone mineral density. In several instances, they have also developed osteoporosis
in their later lives. Research findings suggest that around 25% of children who did not take sufficient milk suffered from bone fractures by the age of 8.
Apart from this, milk also is known to keep down body fat and help maintain a healthy body weight. Obesity has turned out to be a major concern for kids these days. You can avoid such conditions by offering her milk every day.
Quick Glance at the Nutrients Milk Offer Your Kid
Milk is a storehouse of different nutrients that your kid requires in her formative years. Here we shall take a look at why kids should be encouraged to drink it:
Milk is one of the major sources of calcium. Your kid requires this for developing her bones
Vitamin D contained in milk helps preventing type 1 diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis, cancer of different types and multiple sclerosis.
Your child at this age requires sufficient amount of protein for healthy growth. Along with many other foods, milk too is known to be a good source of protein.
You can thus encourage your child to take around 2 glasses of milk every day. Consumption in greater amounts shall interfere with her intake of solids. Along with milk, she must also get a healthy balance of legumes, fish, vegetables and fruits. If you find her hungry in between meals, you may offer her milk in small amounts. Milkshakes
or foods prepared with milk can be some healthy snacking options you can try.
Dealing with Lactose Intolerance in Kids
While you may use the strategies mentioned above to persuade her to drink, it is equally important for you to keep a note if she is lactose intolerant. If you find milk does not suit her, you will be causing more harm than good forcing her to drink it.
In the initial phases you can begin by limiting her intake to a glass. If problems like indigestion still persists, you must consult a paediatrician and ask for the alternatives.Why do kids hate drinking milk? Which are the interesting ways to encourage children have milk? What are the options available for lactose intolerant kids? Discuss here