- Milk and milk products are an important source of energy, proteins, calcium and vitamins. A child must have about 1/2 litre of milk products per day.
- A child below five years should be given milk and not skimmed milk.
- Heavy snacks between meals should be avoided as they spoil the child's appetite. It is better to offer him fruits and sandwiches instead of cakes and chocolates.
- You should control your child's intake of sweets, biscuits, chocolates, cakes, colas, etc. because sugar is a major cause of tooth decay. It is always better to give juices instead of colas.
Tips for Fussy Eaters
- If your child is a fussy eater, try to make his meals more attractive by giving him foods like milkshake, pudding, ice-creams etc.
- If your child is a poor eater, invite some other children over during mealtimes who are of the same age and are good eaters.
- If your child is fit and healthy, and is growing and gaining weight as expected, do not fuss about his eating.
- Avoid getting into a battle at meal times. Mealtimes should be enjoyable and you should talk about things other than food.
Tips for Overweight Children
- If your child is over weight, reduce the use of cooking oil. Instead of frying, grill or bake the food.
Cooking Tips for Mothers
- Use less of sugar, salt and refined flour (maida or all-purpose flour) preparations.
- Unpolished rice or par-boiled rice is better than polished rice.
- Do not overcook vegetables, they lose their nutritive value.
- Do not cook fruits since the essential vitamin C is lost.
- The skin of many vegetables is rich in vitamins and minerals, so offer fresh fruits to the child with their skins.
- Wherever possible, use jaggery instead of sugar, since it is very high in iron.
- Avoid adding too much spice.
Videos related to this article (80)
Medicinal properties of tea
How to make tea
Types of tea
How to make garam masala - an Indian spice mix
Benefits of turmeric
Indian spices and spice mix
How to arrange your spices
How to cook food in mustard oil
Benefits of omega 3 fatty acids
Oils good for cooking
What is omega 3 fatty acid?
Egg in a microwave oven
How to use a microwave oven
Microwave oven safety demo
How to make rice in a microwave
One small step towards healthy life
Ten tips for better life
How to be healthy - funny
Shopping with Kids
Dealing with PCOS
Coping with PCOS
Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome
PCOS Success Story
How to Cope with Pressure
Coping with Exam Stress
How to Reduce Stress with Proper Diet
Healthy Snacks for Children
Avoid Junk Food during Exams
Avoid Eating too much of Cake
How to Prepare a Healthy Breakfast
Healthy Diet for Children
Healthy Eating Habits in Children
Helping Children Imbibe Healthy Eating Habits
Encouraging Healthy Eating Habits in Families
Tips for Encouraging Healthy Eating
Cooking Healthy Breakfast for Kids
Healthy Breakfast Ideas for Mothers
Preparing Healthy Breakfast Quickly
Kids Enjoying Healthy Breakfast
Recipe for Kids
Cooking with Kids
Healthy Smoothie for Children
Healthy Cooking for Kids
Foods that Boost Child's Immunity
Foods for Boosting Immunity
How to Create a Healthy Lunch for Kids
Healthy Lunch Box Ideas
Teaching Importance of Eating Healthy
How Much to Feed Children?
Teaching Good Eating Habits to Kids
Effects of Healthy Food and Junk Food
Healthy Food Pyramid
Developing Healthy Eating Habits in Kids
Balanced Diet for Kids
Tips for Eating Healthy
Recipe of Yummy Raisin Cookies for Children
What are Raisins?
Recipe of Raisin Bread
Way of Eating Raisins
Why Should Kids Eat Healthy
Kids Eating Healthy
Tips For Healthy Eating
Developing Healthy Food Habits
Tips For Fussy Toddlers
Tips For Feeding a Toddler
Toddler Feeding Habits
Meal Plan For Toddlers
Guide To Healthy Foods
Green Juice for Kids
Encouraging Kids to Eat Healthy
How to Make a Healthy Plate for Kids
Healthy Snack Ideas For Kids
Importance of Healthy Eating
Concept Of Balanced Diet
Healthy Diet For Kids
You may also be interested in:
Without exception, children all over the globe shun vegetables.Here we give you a few suggestions to disguise veggies in..
Sorry. Due to our site's regulations and policies, your message has not been posted. Our moderating team has been notified about your message. If the message is found to be genuine and still did not get posted, you may not post the message again as it will automatically get posted for you within 24hrs time (excluding weekends).
- The Indiaparenting Team
- The Indiaparenting Team