• Hyderabad
  • Ghaziabad
  • Chandigarh
  • Ahmedabad
  • Kolkata
  • Chennai
  • Coimbatore
  • Jaipur
You are here: Home > Message Boards > Parents of Babies >  Health Issues >diarrhoea
Please do not give any personal information or money to anyone advertising anything on these boards. We do not endorse or support any of these claims or advertisements. To report abuse, click here.
  Health Issues: diarrhoea
Name: subhashish
Date: 2008-04-24
Hi all.
My 11 month old daughter is suffering from diarrhoea. We were in the middle of shifting our home. Even though it was quite hot that day, she was quite fine. Some time in the evening she happened to crawl on the dusty floor. She had about 2 scoops of cerelac wheat apple and 2 scoops of farex2 before going off to sleep. She has been following the same routine for the past 3 months or so. The next morning she woke up crying and vomited. Thereafter she had watery motion. She had passed about 6 motions by evening before we took her to our paediatrician. The paediatrician felt the diarrhoea was due to heat exposure and has prescribed Normet (ofloxacin+ornidazole)3 ml, Cyclopam (Dicyclomine Hydrochloride 10 mg in Simethicone solution) 5 ml, Ondem (Ondansetron Hydrochloride 2 mg oral solution) 4 ml twice a day for 3 days Darolac 1 sachet and Enterogermina 1 ampoule twice a day each for 5 days and Racigyl (Racecadotril 10 mg oral powder) 1 sachet thrice a day for 3 days. My daughter vomited after administering the medicine at night. She has passed 6 motions the next day and about 4 motions by mid-day the day after. She is still quite active and happy. But she looks weak. She shows vomiting tendency while she is being given her feeds. In fact she vomited while taking her feed on the third day. The stool is still watery and greenish in colour. When I called my doctor to confirm if she needs to be given any ORS, he suggested green coconut water. She had her last dose of the anti-biotic (Normet), anti-spasmodic (cyclopam), rehydratant (Racigyl)and anti-nausea (Ondem) today morning. There does not seem to be much improvement on the diarrhoea front. Though the doctor felt the cause was heat exposure, now I am not too sure if it could be any viral infection as the colour of stool continues to be green.

I would appreciate any helpful suggestion very much.

Subhashish
Name: Alka
Subject:  Do not panic
Date: 2008-04-25
And if all is well with her, her diarrhoea will disappear within the next 36 hours, so dont panic.Diarrhoea is mainly a side effect of the antibiotic which is very common in infants when they r given antibiotics. I say all this bacause my husband makes the formula for atleast 70% of the Anitbiotics as he is a Chemical Engineer, so do not worry.
Reply to Original Message   Reply to This Message   Msg Objection   Go to Top

Name: Alka
Subject:  Give ORS
Date: 2008-04-25
I think u shud give her ORS as she has being given an Antibiotic and do not worry about the colour of her stool for atleast 3-5 days after u have stopped the antibiotic as the effect of anitbiotice remains in the body for that many dasy even after u have stopped administering it. ORS is a WHO approved formula and can work wonders when the child is vomiting and passing motin. She did get a viral infection as my 9 motnh old son also recently suffered from similar symptoms after and he also had temp going upto 100.8 F. I gave him atleast 250 ml water mixed with ORS. U too shud do the same. All the best

Reply to Original Message   Reply to This Message   Msg Objection   Go to Top

Name: subhashish
Subject:  Thanks
Date: 2008-04-29
Thanks a ton. My daughter has recovered.

Subhashish.
Msg Objection   Go to Top

All tips on Parents of Babies
You ever wanted in one place.
No need to go anywhere else.
& Answers to Topic :
diarrhoea

Thanks for subscribing
You are already a member, please login to subscribe

------ OR ------

Last 7 Posts of this Board
VUR
Hi Sona

Sorry, to hear about your son getting diagnosed with VUR. I hope he is fine now.

I work in the healthcare industry and I am talking to parents of children who are suffering or have suffered from VUR. To understand parents perspective on the condition and what help and support you require. Kindly let me know, if you would be willing to shar... - A [View Message]
Reply to A
Dear A,

It is a pleasant surprise to see a reply on this thread after many years. I completely forgot about the same. Well My son is absolutely fine now.
- We gave him 1 dose of antibiotic daily at bedtime for a year.
- Based on Doc suggestion, We circumcised also but now we feel that we should not go for this process.
- Whenever he had fever... - Sona [View Message]
VUR
Hi Sona

Thank you very much for your prompt response.
That is great and wonderful to know that he is absolutely fine now.
Would you like to discuss this further especially the day to day impact this diagnosis had on your son' s life and yours.
Would really appreciate if you could share further.

Best Regards
A... - A [View Message]
thumbguards
use thumbguards...cotton made stuff...was effective for my daughter. can look for website like quikr or olx... - Geeta [View Message]
thanks
Thanks Anita and Nandini... - pushsneha [View Message]
Cradle cap home remedy
Hi to remove cradle cap for my daughter i massaged petroleum jelly allover head over night and in morning after shampooing her hair, combed thru wet hair. all dried flakes would come out. Tried this regularly for a week and whole of cradle cap was cleared. ... - Anita [View Message]
Anterior Displaced Anus
Hi,
I just read your post on anterior displaced anus. I too have a 5 month daughter, who has this. Till now, her anal functions are normal and she has regular bowel movements. Whatever your doc told you, same is told to us.

Was just curious to know, what did you do. Did you got the corrective surgery done?

Please repond, I am bit worried.Rajesh [View Message]

Checking Tyre Pressure Video