wearing saree very low on hips
Thanks your post on the board.
I would like to respond point by point.
Issue of wearing/ not wearing panty:
I believe for any traditional Indian dress, wearing panty is not at all essential it is more a personal preference/ choice. It may be essential for western dresses, such as frock, short/ medium length skirt or under body hugging jeans. Since when in India women/ girls starting wearing panty, bra or any form of under garments? Think of your grandmother/ women of her generation or prior to them I am sure none of them wore them (except may be an exceptionally small westernized section of society in big cities) it may be for last 50-60 years only that women/ girls started wearing them.
Wearing/ not wearing petticoat under saree:
In my opinion, and from mine and many otherâ€™s experience, wearing petticoat under non-transparent saree is not essential. When you wear a petticoat, the drawstring of the same takes load of the petticoat as well as the portion of the saree tucked onto it, petticoat only helps hiding the nudity with semi-transparent/ transparent saree, nothing else. Logically, there is no reason why saree cannot be tucked onto the same drawstring tied without petticoat. It is only a question of getting over the mental bias/barrier and the idea drummed into the mind that saree should be worn with petticoat. The feeling you get is entirely different and within few days you will get used to it.
How low saree can be/should be worn below navel:
I would like to say this up front no woman wears saree sufficiently low below navel just on the suggestion/ desire of her hubby or family members unless she herself has the desire for the same and feels comfortable in displaying her mid riff. It should also be recognized that body structure of every woman is unique the length from navel to top of â€śVâ€ť hump for 80% of women is directly proportional to their height, for remaining 20% it may be higher or lower in proportion to their height. I believe once a woman decides to wear saree below navel whether it is worn just below navel or up to 2-4â€ť below navel (depending on height or body structure) hardly makes any difference. The question arises only when she wants to wear it below that. In my opinion it should be her personal choice there is no harm in wearing in public just above â€śVâ€ť hump if she is comfortable in displaying larger proportion of her mid riff since she is not displaying her private parts/pubic area. In selected private gathering or at home, I think there cannot be any rules a woman should make her own rules depending on her comfort, her desire and on attitude/ permissiveness of other family members in case of joint family.