• Kolkata
  • Chennai
  • Coimbatore
  • Jaipur
More Food Talk Boards
Expecting Parents
Sex
Parents of Babies
You are here: Home > Message Boards > Food Talk >  Vegetarian Food >Tamil iyer tastes
Please do not give any personal information or money to anyone advertising anything on these boards. We do not endorse or support any of these claims or advertisements. To report abuse, click here.
  Vegetarian Food: Tamil iyer tastes
Name: Sunitha
Date: 2007-08-30
Hello,

I am in US . I have guest COMING THIS WEEKEND. tHEY are Tamil iyyers. They are old and coming from India. I am so confused about what fod I can make for them. Please help me. They wlll be here for 3 days. I need breafast/lunch/dinner and snacks ideas. I haveusual idly/dosa/rice+smabar plan.Anything other than that?

Because they are old and just came from India I dont know if they will like all sald/pasata/sandwich recipes. I am looking traditionla indian recipes.

Please help

Sunitha
Name: ravi
Subject:  hi
Date: 2008-12-03
adsfhdasfdnfksdn
Reply to Original Message   Reply to This Message   Msg Objection   Go to Top

Name: kanna
Subject:  Hi
Date: 2008-12-03
cvxcvxc
Msg Objection   Go to Top

Name: Santhiya
Subject:  Hi
Date: 2007-09-11
Hi sunitha

U cud do mor kuzhambu, aviyal, poricha kootu, paruppu usili, vetha kuzhambu, araithu vitta sambar etc for routine samayal.

For tiffen like in night u cud make upma varieities like arisi upma, pongal, kichidi etc..apart from usual idli and dosa..

For a change u can make bisibelabath, curd rice for one week end or so...

u can make adai too for tiffen...

If u need recipes for any of these u can ask me.

Good luck
San

Name: rrr
Subject:  kootu recipe
Date: 2007-09-01
hi dear,
For kootu,
1.you could use any of the following veggies-ash gourd,yellow pumpkin,snake gourd,big yellow cucumber(called vellarikkai in tamil)maybe you could even try with zuchini.
2.amy dal such as chana dal,mung dal or even tuvar dal though it is not used much in kootu.
3.a paste of grated fresh coconut,green chillies/red chillies with or without cumin.This coconut paste is optional and used more in kerala iyer type cooking.
SO to assemble your kootu,dice veggie of your choice,add one of the above mentioned dals,veggies should be more in volume than dal,pressure cook them together.When cooked,add salt and turmeric powder,let boil once and season with mustard seeds,urad dal, 1-2 broken red chillies,curry leaves if you have,and maybe 1tbsp of fresh grated coconut which you fry to a golden brown in the seasoning oil.
To serve 4 people you will need about 500gms-750 gms of any of these veggies.Add 3tbsp this quantiity of channa dal or 2-3 tbsp of mung dal for this quantiity.If you are using coconut paste,grind 3-4 tbsp fresh coconut with 2 green chillies wiht 1/4 tsp cumin and add after the dal veggie is cooked.
Hope this helps you.I' ll be glad to know if your recipe came out well and hope you have a good time with your guests.
RRr

Name: rrr
Subject:  my ideas
Date: 2007-08-31
Hi dear Sunitha,
Some tamil iyers have breakfast luch dinner routines and some have brunch and tiffin arounhd 4 in the afternoon,check out with them.
idli dosa are tiffin ideas,for lunch dinner,you could try sambar,rasam,avial,kootu,porial types of combos.Do you know how to make these or need help?
General rule,dont try new recipes on guests.
good luck.
rrr

Name: Sunitha
Subject:  Thanks
Date: 2007-08-31
Hi rrr,

Thanks for replying.I know how to make sambar,rasam ,poriyalrecipes. Can you help me with any koottu recipes?

Look forward to hear from you

Sunitha
Msg Objection   Go to Top

All tips on Food Talk
You ever wanted in one place.
No need to go anywhere else.
& Answers to Topic :
Tamil iyer tastes

Thanks for subscribing
You are already a member, please login to subscribe

------ OR ------

Last 7 Posts of this Board
what is it
what is it... - prasad [View Message]
french fries
how to prepare French fries... - niharika bala [View Message]

A Vegan is someone who does not want to cause any harm to any other living being while eating. They dont have dairy, so that means no milk, yogurt, chocolate, etc. they have milk from grains such as soya milk, they have only dark chocolate, tofu onstead of normal cheese, no eggs, etc.... - Kiah [View Message]
vegetarian lolly pop
I want recipe of vegetarian lolly pop... i see my friends eating chicken lollypop and feel like eating but then i am pure vegitarian so if you ll have any veg recipe please Share with me in this boards... - ruchi [View Message]
lollypop of cauliflower
hey veg lollypop are made out of cauliflower and its very good in taste.. you just need cauliflower and corn four and oil for frying... - mayur [View Message]
cooking section of indiaparenting
why dont you check cooking section of this site???i am sure you ll find the recipe...... - rachita [View Message]
lollypop are not that great in taste
Veg lollypop are not that great but ya you can try paneer tikka, cheese pakoda instead of veg lollypop... - rituja [View Message]

Ways to say no Video