It is very stressful for an individual when HIV infection is suspected in him or her. Here is what a person should do when an HIV infection is suspected.
It is not easy for a person to deal with stress when he or she is suspected with and HIV infection. In this situation one needs to be calm and follow the advice of doctor. At the same time there are certain things which a person can do in this situation. Read on to know what should be done when HIV infection is suspected.
What to do When an Infection is Suspected
When HIV infection is suspected in an individual nothing much can be done other than following the advice of the doctor. The individual has to be patient and can follow the below mentioned tips.
Relax. Don't panic. Panicking is not going to provide a solution to your problems. Be patient as the result can even be negative. Think positively. A positive attitude can help you to deal with stress and tension easily.
Get a Test Done
Get an ELIZA test done at a laboratory after 12- 14 weeks of the suspected exposure. In an Indian set-up nothing can help diagnose AIDS
before this. Meanwhile assuming that you are infected take care and do not infect others. (E.g. No blood donation, no unprotected intercourse, no pregnancy). If the test is negative - learn a lesson not to repeat the mistake. If positive - get a repeat test done and if possible a Western blot.
If Western blot too is positive, not everything is lost. Get professional help at counselling centres. Contact the nearest Government hospital. Get advice as to the drug therapy to be started.
Follow a Hygienic Lifestyle
Lead a regular, hygienic and a fit lifestyle. [Healthy nutritious food, no vices]. Avoid stress. In short, avoid anything that can lead to an infection affecting the body. On the other hand, anything that boosts the body's general immunity helps. Yoga, Relaxation, Meditation are said to help a lot. Conquer fear.
High Risk Behaviour that can Increase the Risk
Here are some factors that may increase the risk of HIV infection
in the suspects.
- More than one sexual partner (any sex)
- Anal Intercourse
- Drug addiction
- Patient of STD's
- Blood Transfusion Recipients
What can one do to avoid getting infected with HIV?
Here are some important precautions that one can take in order to avoid acquiring HIV
Avoid Having More Than One Sex Partners
- The risk of acquiring HIV is higher when you have more than one sex partners.
Abstain from Sex
– Although, HIV can also be acquired through infected needles etc, abstaining from sex is considered as the best way to prevent HIV infection.
- To be on a safer side, always use condoms when sex is unavoidable.
Be Aware of HIV Status
– Get yourself and your sex partner tested to be aware of your and his or her HIV status.
Get Sexually Transmitted Diseases Treated
- Do not leave other sexually transmitted diseases
untreated. Untreated sexually transmitted diseases can expose you to the risk of acquiring HIV and transmitting it to others.
Learn About Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis (PrEP)
- Find out from your doctor about pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP). It is one of the ways through which people who are at higher risk of acquiring HIV can prevent it by taking a certain medication. You must consult your doctor to know more about it.
Avoid Injecting Drugs
- Avoid injecting drugs and in case if you are unable to avoid it, use sterile needles and do not share them with others at any cost. However, taking illicit drugs is harmful for your health.
It is always better to be safe than sorry. Therefore, if there is something that is really concerning you, you must not hesitate to talk to your doctor.PART 6 - What Exactly Is Hindering The Discovery Of Drugs And Vaccines Against HIV.