Stretch Marks
Swelling During Pregnancy
Travel During Pregnancy
Twin Pregnancy
Urinating Frequently During Pregnancy
Urine Infection During Pregnancy
Vaginal Discharge During Pregnancy
Weight Concerns During Pregnancy

You are here: Home > Doctors on call > FAQs > Vision

Kindly read through our Frequently Asked Questions before submitting your queries. If you still wish to ask a question to our panel of experts, click here for our premium services.

Related ArticlesRelated FAQsDiscussion Boards
Vision Rubbing Eyes Speech
Eye Problems Squint Eyes Hearing
Visually Challenged Child Ear Deformities
more more... more...
Vision >>>
 Frequently Asked Questions

Q: My son is having 'Ptosis' in his left eye since birth. For this we first consulted a doctor to get it corrected. After seeing the case, the doctor suggested to get it corrected early at the age of 2-3 year, specially before he joins school as early correction will be better for both physical and psychological development of child. We also consulted some other doctor. The opinion of new doctor was to get it corrected when the child is 5-6 yr.old, so that the child will better co-operate with the doctors during operation and post operation exercises. And also results may be better when he is little grown-up. One more confusion. This operation should be done by an Eye Surgeon (who are more experienced on this type of cases, because people come to them - thinking this is eye problem) or it should be operated by a Cosmetic Surgeon (because after all this is cosmetic Problem). Please suggest. Please tell me also is there any Specific Hospital.

Saira (Udaipur, India)

A: This condition is better treated by an eye surgeon. Get it operated when she is five years of age.

Dr. Asha Paranjpe

Q: I just started to notice that my 3-month-old son has one eye bigger than the other. Will it become normal?

Julie (Bangalore, India)

A: By and large, such small discrepancies in size are normal; at times it may even be familial (runs within the family). However, your doctor who can examine the eye will be in a better position to give you a correct assessment.

Dr. Ajit Gajendragadkar

Q: After taking my daughter for an eye check-up, I have discovered that her left eye has a number of -1.75 and her right eye has a number of -1.50. This is extremely upsetting, as my daughter is so small. She will be wearing glasses soon, but I want to know will her eye number keep increasing? Is there any alternative therapy to correct her vision?

Rupal (Mumbai, India)

A: Unfortunately your child has an eye defect. A negative power has every chance of increasing. There are many new laser techniques which can correct these defects – but your child will need to be older before any of these techniques could be applied to her. Feed her a lot of carrots, take the general precautions (distance from the television, no reading while lying down, while in a moving car or in train, or in poor light etc…) and wait and watch.

Dr. Balasubramanian

Q: I have a 6 year old son. His eyesight is +6.5 & +5.5. He has been wearing glasses since the age of 3. Is there any treatment or medication for bringing down the number?

Rakesh (Abu Dhabi, UAE)

A: Your son has hypermetropia. Usually such defects do not clear up on their own. Medicines will not be of much help but if he takes care, his power will not increase.

Back to previous page

search search the site

To check our panel of doctors and experts
click here.

To check out other Faq's on various topics
click here.

E - Shop
Visit E-Shop Now!
Baby Photo Contest