Children are different and unique in many respects. Some children take interest in drawing some will take interest in playing video games. Just as there is diversity in selection of hobbies, the nature of children also varies. If you find that your child has special interest in topics like environment
, society and so on, you will find it challenging and worry about how you should nurture his interests and preferences.
Bringing up a child is in itself a big responsibility and if your child has some specific quality, this responsibility gets enhanced. You can even teach your child by showing how poor children do not have proper meals or clothes. Remember, the things that are taught in childhood stays throughout the life of the person. So, if you want to raise a socially responsible child, you need to keep some parenting advices in mind.
Dos and Don’ts for Parents to Raise Socially Responsible Children
- Involve your child when you are going for any social activity. You can serve food to hungry or give clothes or warm clothes in winter to those who need them. Preach only what you do. Remember, your child is watching you.
- Read out stories about selfless heroes and if possible try to find stories from real life. Children are very smart today. They will get motivated only when they get the proof and real life stories can be best for this.
- Initiate values in them like explaining them the importance of being environmental friendly by taking part in the recycling programs or not using plastic bags.
- Discuss the blessings that they have like availability of food, clothes, shelter, parents, protection and show them children who lack all this.
- Do not give your child everything that he asks for. This will not only spoil his behaviour but also make him a completely irresponsible and selfish person. This does not mean that you have to ignore or scold each time he asks for anything. Be concerned and make him analyze whether he really needs the thing or not. If the thing is a toy or something expensive, make him realise that there are many children who do not have basic things in their life. Persuade him and convince him so that he understands your intention.
- Do not ever speak ill or negative about any religion or culture.
- Encourage your child to speak the truth and take responsibility of anything that he has done.
- When you ask your child to tell the truth, make sure you are speaking truth always. Otherwise this will leave a very bad impression and the child will get confused.
Be patient and keep your behaviour consistent. Putting in values and responsibilities will take time. Do not under estimate if your child is a little older or has reached his teenage. Start making changes today. It is never too late to make functional changes in life.
However, for this you will have to change your conduct first. Mind your actions and accept this concept from within. This is extremely important because children consider their parents as role models and imitate them in whatever they do. Use your common sense and wisdom while dealing with young children and teenagers. Molding teenagers is a real challenge and you can do this with time.