Meditation brings lot of vitality in human life. It provides lot of benefits which improves our health and makes our mind stable. There are lots of meditation techniques which we can follow in our day-to-day life. Yog nidra is one of the guided meditation techniques which helps to improvise life. Read on to know more about yog nidra technique, its benefits and the instructions for carrying out yog nidra.
Meditation can be classified in various types. All forms of meditation are beneficial for human health and help to cope with disorders. Yog nidra is one of the types of meditation which is highly beneficial for human beings. Very few people know about this amazing guided technique of meditation. Read on to know more about yog nidra.
What is Yog Nidra?
Yog nidra is type of meditation
where the practitioner lies down in Shavasan
(A type of yoga posture) and tries to move his or her attention from one part of body to another under the guidance of expert. There are lots of benefits which the yog nidra practitioner can derive by practicing yog nidra regularly. However, it needs to be practiced under the guidance of yog nidra or yoga or meditation expert.
Benefits of Yog Nidra
Practice yog nidra which is one of the forms of meditation regularly and get ready to experience its unbelievable benefits. Have a quick look at some of the benefits of yog nidra.
- Helps to improve concentration power.
- Reduces day-to-day work related and other stress.
- Helps to maintain a balanced mind.
- Helps to focus completely towards our aims and objectives in our daily life.
- Prepares mind and body to face pressure.
- Improves health and quality of life.
Instructions for Practicing Yog Nidra
- Perform yog nidra in a dim-light. It will help you to create an atmosphere which will make you feel calm and relaxed.
- You can take a soft pillow under your neck and lie down on a mattress. You can use yoga mattresses which are easily available in market.
- Lie down in Shavasan (As if a dead body has been laid down on the floor) with your palms open upwards which makes you feel comfortable and relaxed.
- Do not change your position or move your hands, legs etc; and try to remain in same position until the entire process of yog nidra is over. It is not difficult to remain in same position if you have strong will and desire to stay intact and reap all the benefits of yog nidra.
- As the yog nidra practitioner lies down on the floor in a very comfortable posture, it is very natural for the yog nidra practitioner to feel sleepy. However, you should try to avoid sleeping during this practice as much as possible.
- Perform yog nidra strictly under the guidance of expert or yog nidra or yoga instructor. You can also take help of audio CDs.
- Pay attention to whatever is said by the instructor during the process of yog nidra. However, thoughts will keep coming to your mind which is not a matter of concern.
- Do not eat anything at-least one hour before practicing yog nidra. This rule is applicable for practicing any kind of yoga posture or meditation.
- Wear loose clothes while practicing yog nidra which will help you to feel comfortable.
- Do not get up or open your eyes in between unless you get any instructions from your yog nidra or yoga instructor unless necessary.
- Avoid practicing yog nidra on your own.
Normally, it takes at-least 45 minutes to complete the entire process of yog nidra. However, different yoga or meditation instructors may follow different time frames to carryout this process. If you are unable to take help of the yoga or meditation instructor, you can carryout yog nidra with the help of yog nidra audio CDs.
If you give some time from your busy schedule to such type of meditation technique, you can enjoy lot of benefits. Modifying your life-style will bring vitality to your life. A new change in your life will make you confident and determined to face the challenges of life.