+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Including Spinach in Child’s Diet

IndiaParenting's Avatar Administrator
    Blog Entries

Including Spinach in Child’s Diet

Why do kids hate eating green vegetables? What are the health benefits of spinach? How to include spinach in the diet of children?
    To read the related article, click here.

Green vegetables when cooked become mushy so kids do not prefer them. Kids like to have vegetables that look appealing or have a distinct taste. It seems very difficult to make kids eat green vegetables. Masking the taste or mushiness will help them to have their green veggies daily. As a kid I used to like pakoras made with green vegetables such as palak pakora so I used to have my daily quota of green vegetables.

spinach is high in calcium and iron. Spinach is a good vegetable for kids as it meets their iron and calcium requirements. Besides there are other micro-nutrients present in it that helps in promoting health of the kids.
    As many kids find it difficult to have spinach so it is best to give them by combining with other food items. Spinach puris or parathas are really tasty and also look appealing. Kids will love to have these and I feel this is the best way to make them eat spinach, Even palak paneer is liked by kids as in this recipe spinach is pureed.

Arushi Sahai's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries
    Hi, I think this is every parent concern that how to include spinach in the child’s diet. Children always see their favourite cartoon popeye the sailor man eating spinach and then getting energy to beat up all the villians, but when it comes to them they clearly give a no signal to it. It is a hard task for the mothers to feed their children spinach in their daily diet. But it is highly important that children eat spinach and it should be included in their diet. There are ways to include spinach in their diet.

Hetal Kapoor's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries
    Hello, I totally agree with you that spinach should be included in the diet of the child. You can talk to him and make him understand the benefits and uses of spinach. Let them know how spinach provides lot of iron and how it helps the body. Once they know the health benefit they might start eating it. Also tell them that spinach is full of mineral and vitamins and will make them stronger and taller just like their favourite cartoon popeye. Not only the children but the parents should also know that the antioxidants, vitamin A, vitamin C and vitamin E found in spinach reduce the risk of cancer, heart diseases and cataract.

Hi, it is also important to note that spinach has the highest amount of chlorophyll and hence has a dark green color compared to other green vegetables. Chlorophyll helps in the stimulation of red cell production and hemoglobin. It also has Lutein and Zeaxantin are two pigments supplied by spinach that keeps the eyes healthy in old age. You can include spinach in the child’s diet by adding it into the sandwiches, burgers or any kind of rice you make. This way they will eat it without knowing it and will also thin that they are eating their favourite food.

Shweta Kale's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries
    Whenever you buy spinach make sure that it is bright green in color and also you can make it fresh by sprinkling some water. Make sure that you wash the spinach properly and then use it as there might end to be insects on the leaf. Today children love salad especially when it has a lovely dressing over it and also some of their favourite fruits. You can try adding few raw spinach leaves in the salad and spread a nice dressing over it along with some fruits and nuts and can give it to your child. Make sure that you make it look presentable and appealing to the children.

Hi, I would like to suggest you to add it in the curries or vegetables by just chopping the leaves fine and this way in the curry children will not understand it and also eat it. You can also try make a spinach soup and add butter or cream on it and can serve it with some tasty croutons or bread fries. You can finely chop off the spinach and then use it while making any king of paratha or stuffed paratha. You can also make spinach dal just the way you prepare normal dal. You can make it tangy or spicy the way your child likes it.

neha francis's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries
    Hi, the best option I think is to make a smoothie. Children find many reasons to not eat food even if we try to make it something different or innovative. The last option we have it is make a fruit smoothie and add spinach in it. You can also call it a green juice. You can make it by adding ice, spinach leaves, some lemon juice, chopped apples, peach, grapes, bananas, orange or blackberries or even strawberries. Then add some apple juice or honey in it and blend it well till it becomes smooth. All these fruits are optional and you can add one fruit that will be more than enough.