+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6 Ways to Encourage Your Child to Do Homework

IndiaParenting's Avatar Administrator
    Blog Entries

6 Ways to Encourage Your Child to Do Homework

Is homework necessary for children? Why do children hate doing homework? How can children learn to complete their homework on their own?
    To read the related article, click here.
    Last edited by IndiaParenting; 22-07-2014 at 03:56 PM.

Hi! Doing homework is the last thing which children want to do or possibly avoid it so much that they sometimes even forget to do it. It is commonly seen that children do not want to do their homework. Though doing homework seems very boring and monotonous, it is very important that they complete their homework. They should start taking their homework seriously. It is important for us as parents to see through it that their homework is completed on time and done regularly on time. Homework is one such thing which gives a revision to the children about what they have learnt.

Arushi Sahai's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries
    Hello, I have two kids and dealing with them and their studies is like a nightmare. One child seems to be studious but the other one is very naughty and does not do his homework. He does not at all like doing homework as he does not like sitting in one place after studying in school for so long. I cannot force him to sit and do his homework. I have started sitting with him and taking initiative to complete his homework along with him. This way he sits with me and I also help him whenever he needs help.

Malti Shanker's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries
    There are many parents who force their children to do their homework, this way they will feel more agitated and run away from it. Parents feel that homework is a problem and sometimes they try to complete it if their child doesn’t. I have seen many of my friends who bribe their kids and offer them things they like on behalf of doing the homework which I think should not be done. These tactics do not work every time and the motive of doing the homework is lost in this case. There should be no scolding and shouting as well.

Hetal Kapoor's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries
    Every child has same problem of doing homework as they get bored of studying again after spending so much time in school. This is quite obvious and natural for them to run away from homework. Not every child is sincere and studious that he will do his or her homework on their own. It is our duty as parents to take care and make sure their work is completed on time. It important for us to help them organise and understand their responsibility that they should be completing their homework on time. It is important that you make a routine which he will follow when you follow it along with him or her.

Dhwani Singh's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries
    I agree with you it is really important to follow a proper routine and make children to follow it. It is necessary to make a routine uncomplicated and simple with enough breaks so that the children don’t feel pressurised and bored. Make sure that you should tell them to start before time because some children have a habit of passing time unnecessarily. We should also give equal time to them and assist them if they need help anywhere. Children find a lot of difficulties and hence avoid doing homework or studying but we should make them understand and solve their problems easily.

Mariam Dsouza's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries
    Firstly the most important thing is that you should help your child to be organised and it is our responsibility to teach them to be organised as they will never be organised unless you tell them to be. Once you make them follow some rules they will automatically start following it and make it a bit fun so that they don’t feel captured. Keep a check on them occasionally and appreciate them for being organised and following the rules. Help him giving a healthy and distraction free surrounding with no noise and distractions around. This will help him concentrate more and enjoy more if you sit along with him if he wishes so.
    Last edited by Mariam Dsouza; 07-01-2016 at 04:09 PM.

It is natural that you feel anxious about the responsibility of being a parent and feel that it is your duty to complete your kid’s homework. But controlling your child will make the situation worse than before. It is necessary that you guide them than controlling them and motivate them to complete their homework. It is important to know that we should not threaten and scare our children for doing their homework, it might have reverse effects on their mind. Try to work out things the way your child likes and try to follow it.

Hi, all parents face this same problem unless your child is willingly ready to do their homework, which is quite rare to see. It is important that you just make your child realise the importance of the homework and make him realise the consequences which he will face in school if he doesn’t do it. Do not scare the child but just make them feel a bit responsible and also tell him that once he is done with his homework he is free to do anything he wants. Also taking breaks is important while studying and doing homework. These breaks can make them feel energised and active again to continue their work.

Hi! Doing homework is the last thing which children want to do or possibly avoid it so much that they sometimes even forget to do it. It is commonly seen that children do not want to do their homework. Though doing homework seems very boring and monotonous, it is very important that they complete their homework. They should start taking their homework seriously. It is important for us as parents to see through it that their homework is completed on time and done regularly on time. Homework is one such thing which gives a revision to the children about what they have learnt.

Hello, I have two kids and dealing with them and their studies is like a nightmare. One child seems to be studious but the other one is very naughty and does not do his homework. He does not at all like doing homework as he does not like sitting in one place after studying in school for so long. I cannot force him to sit and do his homework. I have started sitting with him and taking initiative to complete his homework along with him. This way he sits with me and I also help him whenever he needs help.

There are many parents who force their children to do their homework, this way they will feel more agitated and run away from it. Parents feel that homework is a problem and sometimes they try to complete it if their child doesn’t. I have seen many of my friends who bribe their kids and offer them things they like on behalf of doing the homework which I think should not be done. These tactics do not work every time and the motive of doing the homework is lost in this case. There should be no scolding and shouting as well.

Siya Gandhi's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries
    Every child has same problem of doing homework as they get bored of studying again after spending so much time in school. This is quite obvious and natural for them to run away from homework. Not every child is sincere and studious that he will do his or her homework on their own. It is our duty as parents to take care and make sure their work is completed on time. It important for us to help them organise and understand their responsibility that they should be completing their homework on time. It is important that you make a routine which he will follow when you follow it along with him or her.

I agree with you it is really important to follow a proper routine and make children to follow it. It is necessary to make a routine uncomplicated and simple with enough breaks so that the children don’t feel pressurised and bored. Make sure that you should tell them to start before time because some children have a habit of passing time unnecessarily. We should also give equal time to them and assist them if they need help anywhere. Children find a lot of difficulties and hence avoid doing homework or studying but we should make them understand and solve their problems easily.

Shweta Kale's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries
    Firstly the most important thing is that you should help your child to be organised and it is our responsibility to teach them to be organised as they will never be organised unless you tell them to be. Once you make them follow some rules they will automatically start following it and make it a bit fun so that they don’t feel captured. Keep a check on them occasionally and appreciate them for being organised and following the rules. Help him giving a healthy and distraction free surrounding with no noise and distractions around. This will help him concentrate more and enjoy more if you sit along with him if he wishes so.

Sonia Roy's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries
    It is natural that you feel anxious about the responsibility of being a parent and feel that it is your duty to complete your kid’s homework. But controlling your child will make the situation worse than before. It is necessary that you guide them than controlling them and motivate them to complete their homework. It is important to know that we should not threaten and scare our children for doing their homework, it might have reverse effects on their mind. Try to work out things the way your child likes and try to follow it.

Fatima Shreen's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries
    Hi, all parents face this same problem unless your child is willingly ready to do their homework, which is quite rare to see. It is important that you just make your child realise the importance of the homework and make him realise the consequences which he will face in school if he doesn’t do it. Do not scare the child but just make them feel a bit responsible and also tell him that once he is done with his homework he is free to do anything he wants. Also taking breaks is important while studying and doing homework. These breaks can make them feel energised and active again to continue their work.

obviously homework is essential,homework is essential thats the reason why teachers emphasize so much on doing it on daily basis had it not been essential why would have teahers insisted so much on doing that and yes kids hate doing homework every adult even when they were child must have hated doing homework

no one likes to do homework even when we were small we never had interest in doing homework so expecting them to do on there own is to much and scolding them or yelling them would make them do forcefully without interest so there would be no point doing the homework so make them understand the benefits of doing homework patientlly

kids dont prefer doing homework.Doing homework is the last thing they would ever prefer. Though doing homework seems very boring it is very important that they complete their homework before going to school next day because it provides revision so parents have to get homework done from kids

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast