+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How to signal end of meal to servers/waiters?

Sonia Roy's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries

Smile How to signal end of meal to servers/waiters?

I remember reading that putting your cutlery in a certain way, indicates that you are done with your food. How are you supposed to put your cutlery to indicate that you are done eating and they should not ask to serve you further?

You normally place your fork and knife parallel to each other in the centre of the plate

The correct way:

The knife and fork go either straight up and down in the centre of the plate with the handles resting on the rim, or pointing between 10 and 4 o’clock. In each case the tines of the fork should be facing up, and the knife edge pointing in.

Malti Shanker's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries
    I think you can also cross your fork and knife and place it in an X shape on the centre of your plate.

Mariam Dsouza's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries
    Placing it in an 'X' shape is a common misconception. When you have finished eating, and to let others know that you have, place your knife and folk together, with the prongs (tines) on the fork facing upwards, on your plate. This is the only accepted and standardised cutlery etiquette around.

It is correct to lay your cutlery down after each mouthful while you chew and swallow. To indicate with your cutlery that you are merely pausing, the knife and fork (or fork and spoon) should be laid neatly in the twenty past eight position of the clock with the tines of the fork pointing down. When you have finished, lay the knife and fork (or fork and spoon) neatly side by side, in the six-thirty or twenty-five past five position, with the tines of the fork pointing upward. This indicates to both guests and waiting staff that you have finished.

Fabulous post, you have denoted out some fantastic points, I likewise think this s a very wonderful website. I will visit again for more quality contents and also, recommend this site to all. Thanks

beste portretschildering
    foto schilderij