+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Low Calorie Dessert recipes

Fatima Shreen's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries

Question Low Calorie Dessert recipes

My husband needs to lose a lot of weight but he is tired of diet food and wants dessert at least twice in a week. I want to give him dessert but I want it to be healthy. Can someone suggest a low calorie way of making some dessert?

Arushi Sahai's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries

Apple cinnamon confit

This is my favorite recipe. Low fat, low guilt, high taste

3 apples
    1/4th cup brown sugar
    1/2 tsp cinnamon
    1 tsp vanilla extract

Peel the apples and slice 1/4 inch thick. Place the apples in a slow cooker. Add sugar and cinnamon to taste, and toss to coat well. Cover and cook until the apples are very tender and almost translucent, but not pureed, 2 to 2 1/2 hours on high or 4 to 4 1/2 hours on low. Stir in vanilla. Transfer to a bowl and let cool slightly. Cover and refrigerate until chilled.

Hetal Kapoor's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries

Chocolate covered bananas

Break about 200gms of chocolate into rough pieces. Double boil it until it melts. Mix a spoon of butter or oil.
    Place a peeled banana on a skewer, and dip it in this mix. Let it cool, and as it cools it will harden.
    Voila! Chocolate covered banana. You can also try with strawberry, kiwi, or apple.
    Yummy and healthy.

Yoghurt mango cheesecake

Hang 250gms of yoghurt in a muslin cloth, and retain it for 1 hour, till all the excess water escapes.
    Now, mix 200gms mango puree with this. Mix it well and pour into cups. Garnish with a mango cube or a mint leaf.
    Easy yogurt mango cheesecake ready in 10mins! Very easy, very healthy

Riya Jain's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries

Sticky toffee pudding. Yummm

This is a recipe I got off BBC good foods. One of my favorites!

Guilt-free sticky toffee puds
    Preheat the oven to 180C/Gas 4/fan oven 160C. Put the dates and 175ml/6fl oz water in a pan and simmer for 5 minutes. Tip into a food processor, add 6 tablespoons maple syrup and the vanilla extract, and blend until smooth.
    Transfer to a bowl and mix in the egg yolks, followed by the flour. In another bowl, whisk the egg whites until stiff, and fold into the date mixture.
    Put 1 tablespoon maple syrup into each of four 200ml/7fl oz pudding moulds and add the mixture. Cover each tightly with foil, stand in an ovenproof dish and pour in hot water to halfway up the sides of the moulds. Cook for 1 hour, until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
    Uncover, run a knife around the edges, and invert onto plates. Drizzle over yogurt and maple syrup to serve, if you like.

Low fat rice kheer

Add 150ml milk to a bowl, and add 130gms of milk powder while stirring. Keep aside. Pour another 150ml milk in a deep pan on medium heat. Now add half cup washed and soaked rice to the pan and boil for 8-12 minutes. Add the milk mix you'd kept aside and boil for another 5 minutes. Keep stirring. Skin about 7-10 almonds (pre-soaked) and cut them into long slivers. Add these almond slivers with 3-4 teaspoons of sugar and half teaspoon powdered cardamom powder to the boiling mixture. Serve hot, warm or cold.

A solid favorite for any occassion! Enjoy!