+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Courts grant custody of children to mothers or fathers normally?

Post Courts grant custody of children to mothers or fathers normally?

I am planning to divorce my husband. But i will only go through with the divorce only if I am 99% sure that the court will grant custody of my daughter to me. Does anybody know if courts normally grant custody to mother or father? on what basis do courts decide who gets the child?
    i want to be fully prepared to take care of my daughter and want to the court to also know that i am capable of taking care of and providing for my daughter before i file for divorce. So please advise how to prepare myself before filing for divorce. thanks.

Sonia Roy's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries
    Courts grant custody of a child by looking at various parameters. Age of the child, his emotional development, ability of the parent to raise and take care of the child are some common parameters. If the parent is ill or having a disease, then he/she may not have the custody. So if you want the custody then you have to look into these matters.

File a custody petition. You also have to provide evidence to support your petition. The judge makes a ruling based on what custody arrangement is in the best interest of the child. your relationship with the child, the child's relationship with her current guardian, and how you can better meet the child's needs are all taken into consideration by the judge.

neha francis's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries
    Make your case before the judge. After you file your custody petition with the court, you will be given a hearing date.If the child is old enough to speak in court, the judge might ask to hear her opinion.Engage a good lawyer.

Lois's Avatar Junior Member
    When I was geting a divorce, my husband wasn't eager to share custody, however when we had a conversation with him, I and my MIL explained him what would be better for kids, he agreed upon my conditions, so we were able to file our divorce with https://onlinedivorcewa.com after we agreed custody on the papers. We also went through coparenting classes as we intended to reduce stress for the kids.