+ Reply to Thread

Thread: If i am just a housewife, can i get custody of my son?

neha francis's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries

Question If i am just a housewife, can i get custody of my son?

I am planning to file for divorce but I wanted to know that if i have not been earning any money these past few years since my marriage, will the court think that I am unable to take care of my son? Or will courts direct my husband to pay alimony and take care of my son's expenditures?

Hi Neha,
    How old is your son? Age of your son matters a lot while granting custody. You will also have to show some proof as to how you would raise up your son. If have a source of income then you will surely get the custody. The court will decide if you are able to raise your child well.

Siya Gandhi's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries
    If you are seeking custody of your child after a divorce and are attending mediation sessions, bring up the custody issue with your mediator. Integrate this in your mediation settlement. you can integrate child custody provisions into your divorce petition. also you should give proof to support your case.

Make your case before the judge. After you file your custody petition with the court, you will be given a hearing date. If the child is old enough to speak in court, the judge might ask to hear his opinion. As mentioned by other members, the factors are worth considering.