+ Reply to Thread

Thread: what is pilates

Smile what is pilates

what is pilates? how does it help with body fitness? is it good for stretching or for weight loss? does it help build stamina or muscle? it is considered a cardio workout? Someone please tell me all that they can about pilates. thanks.

Pilates is fun!

Pilates is a form of exercise that focuses primarily on your core muscles. It is a body conditioning routine that may help build flexibility, muscle strength, and endurance in the body. It puts emphasis on improving coordination and balance, and you have to basically hold different poses for as long as possible so there is core muscle involvement.

Pilates can definitely help you lose weight

Pilates not only helps you to lose weight, it tones your entire body. I have been attending pilates classes regularly since 2 years now, and its definitely paying off! I havent changed my diet, have just incorporated this into my routine. I love it, and definitely recommend it.

almost like yoga

Pilates focuses on breathing, precision, flow of movement, and control. It is great for organising the mind as well as the body. I think of it as a hardcore form of yoga.

Pilates is not recommended for pregnant women and/or women suffering from osteoporosis/osteopenia though. So do keep that in mind.

Pilates is diverse

I think one of the reasons Pilates is so popular is that it works so well for a wide range of people. Right from athletes to seniors to people just looking to slim down, it works for all. Plus, it is a group activity usually so its a lot of fun. If youre bored of the regular exercise regimes, I would recommend this one for you!

All you need to know:

Pilates exercises are done on either on a mat on the floor. Infact, you dont need to join a class or a gym to incorporate pilates into your life. Youtube has a lot of videos of correct pilates, check it out.

This can also help: http://pilates.about.com/od/pilatesmat/tp/BeginnerExercises.htm

Good luck and youre welcome

Sneha Rathod's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries
    Pilates not only helps you to lose weight, it tones your entire body. I have been attending pilates classes regularly since 2 years now, and its definitely paying off! I havent changed my diet, have just incorporated this into my routine. I love it, and definitely recommend it.

Hetal Kapoor's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries
    Pilates focuses on breathing, precision, flow of movement, and control. It is great for organising the mind as well as the body. I think of it as a hardcore form of yoga.

Pilates is not recommended for pregnant women and/or women suffering from osteoporosis/osteopenia though. So do keep that in mind.

Dhwani Singh's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries
    Pilates is diverse!
    I think one of the reasons Pilates is so popular is that it works so well for a wide range of people. Right from athletes to seniors to people just looking to slim down, it works for all. Plus, it is a group activity usually so its a lot of fun. If you're bored of the regular exercise regimes, I would recommend this one for you!

Pilates exercises are done on either on a mat on the floor. Infact, you dont need to join a class or a gym to incorporate pilates into your life. Youtube has a lot of videos of correct pilates, check it out.

Good luck and you're welcome