+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Teaching Kids to Be Smart About Strangers

IndiaParenting's Avatar Administrator
    Blog Entries

Teaching Kids to Be Smart About Strangers

How can children learn to differentiate between good and bad people? What are basic street smart tips that children should learn? How to teach children to be safe when lost or left alone in crowded areas?

I guess.. in today's very deceptive world, it is even difficult for adults to differentiate between good people and bad people! for the kids!! And even if you verbally explain... kids just can't understand it clearly and tend to ignore preaching.

I believe the best way to help a child is to give them the exposure of how good/bad people behave - This can come from story telling around this topic. Now a days animated stories are kids favorite. So search for animated stories/movies around this topic for children to watch. Even various books can help... if the child is fond of reading! As the children get the "virtual" experience about bad people/strangers etc. they start understanding the importance of this topic.

there are few good ways in which you can train your kid in behaving or acting safe in todays life. one of them is training them through a small drama with their friends in a group. I agree to Anuradha's advise which is apt and best way to teach children who love animated movies...but finding the one is very difficult. I suggest train your kids to use a particular password which is just known to the kid and the parent only. like recently a girl was asked by a stranger to pick her from her school as her Mama had sent him to do so, but the girl refused to accompany till the stranger speaks the password and thus he had to leave the place and girl was saved.