+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Back to basics….using earthen pots

Shilpa Sethi's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries

Cool Back to basics….using earthen pots

For generations, earthen pots are used for storing water and keeping it cool…now days we opt for refrigerated water which is in a way not good for health. The temperature of the water stored in matka or surahi is ideal for drinking - not too warm and not too chilled.

The science behind the mechanism of cooling water in a matka says that the matka absorbs some of the water that is poured into it. This is what makes the matka wall moist. The external heat evaporates the moisture on the pot and this cools the stored water to a comfortable temperature. This effect lasts as long as the wall of the pot is moist.

Take Precautions while storing water:
    1. If you use a matka, keep it covered at all times to prevent insects, dust and other contaminants from falling into it.

2. Place the pot on a sturdy table or stand near a window. The breeze will help keep the water cool. During the hot months, you may want to wrap a clean moist cloth around the matka for quicker cooling.

3. Avoid painting the matka from outside as the paint would slower or stop the process of cooling the water (pores get closed)

4. Use a clean, long-handled ladle to spoon out water from a matka. Dipping a glass or touching the water with your hand may contaminate it. Now days earthen pots with taps are available for easy handling…I use it as my son gets excited while poring it from matka and drinking it

Use filtered or RO water to fill the Matka to avoid any infections, if boiling is required then Bring the required water to a rolling boil for one minute. Allow the water to cool naturally. Once it reaches room temperature, you can store it in a clean matka or surahi.

Traditionally, matka water is believed to be gentle on the throat and better than drinking chilled water from the fridge. You may find family members suggesting you only drink water from a matka so that you don't fall sick. If you are prone to colds and coughs or sore throats, they may feel matka water might be the best option for your kids and you too

Indeed the modern facilities are blessings but sticking to your roots what grandmothers have always used is still better. Take care and stay healthy!
    Last edited by Shilpa Sethi; 12-05-2014 at 06:26 PM. Reason: grammer

Hetal Kapoor's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries
    wow S.Singh!

that is very informative advice! thanks so much for it..
    at my home too, we use matkas for water. all year round we cover the matka top with a steel lid on which we put a wet muslin cloth that extends to midway down the matka. this too helps the water stay cool.

I just followed the instructions that my MIL gave me regarding the matka but this is th first time i came to know why we should use matkas and how.

We also keep refrigerated water in our home, but I encourage my kids to only drink water from the matka.. now i will also explain the science behind it as you have explained..

Thanks!

Shilpa Sethi's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for your appreciation Hetal, I believe in sharing things which i have got benefited from especially the generation old tricks which we generally use just because elders have told us to do

silavax608's Avatar Senior Member
    articles about safety on the internet and how to recognize phishing sites гидра тор

articles about safety on the internet and how to recognize phishing sites гидра тор

Acknowledges for paper such a beneficial composition, I stumbled beside your blog besides decipher a limited announce. I want your technique of inscription... tor hydra

The most interesting text on this interesting topic that can be found on the net ... hydra tor

articles about safety technologies in the internet like VPN, Tor onion network and proxy chain гидра тор

It's superior, however , check out material at the street address. Best Darknet Carding Forum and Hacking forum

I invite you to the page where see how much we have in common. Cooking change video clip