+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Polish your silver at home with just salt and baking soda

Siya Gandhi's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries

Polish your silver at home with just salt and baking soda

So, everytime some big function is going to be held at home, I have to remove all our silver crockery for serving the guests. But so often, the silver turns dull and tarnished. Not to mention all the silver jewellery that is always just lying inside my safe.

My mother-in-law just showed me a cheap way to get the silver to shine at home itself rather than pay for someone to polish it.

You have to simply cover your wash basin/sink with aluminium foil, add 1/2 cup of salt and 1/2 cup of baking soda and fill the basin with hot water. (do this is a bucket if your sink cannot hold water). Put all your silver in this mixture and let it sit for half an hour. All the tarnish leaves the silver and transfers onto the aluminium foil.

It works! Do try it.

What a great recipe Siya! Thanks for the tip!

Another thing to remember is that we should use silver often to prevent tarnishing.. If it looks like its getting dull, washing it with warm water and a mild, no lemon, detergent can even prevent it from beginning to tarnish.

Lemon can create spots on silver, and rubber can corrode silver. so we should ensure not to let those materials anywhere close to the silver.

It is better to keep silverware covered in a soft muslin cloth and in a box during monsoons otherwise it gets easily tarnished. I always use baking soda to bring back the shine back on my silverware. It really works.

I keep cleaning silverware with lemon juice and soda.