+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My aunty cried when I was born a girl

Question My aunty cried when I was born a girl

My aunty has just one daughter, 13 years elder to me.
    I was the next child to be born in our family and I too am a girl. After 5 years of my birth, my mother gave birth to a boy. He is the apple of my entire family's eyes. We all pamper him because he is the baby of the house although he is now 16 years old
    I just came to know something shocking yesterday. In some conversation, my mom started telling me about where I was born and then she told me that when my aunty was told that mom had delivered a girl..., she started crying and wouldn't stop for half an hour.

I was really shocked that such a modern woman could get so disappointed that i was born a girl. for the first time in my life i felt somehow less. and then my father explained it in a beautiful way.

he told me that my aunty cried not because i was a girl, but because my being born a girl meant that i was yet another person who would someday leave the house when i got married. maybe he is just bluffing, but it got me thinking...why do people make such a hue and cry over someone being born a boy or girl. How would a girl who has been reminded of her apparent inferiority her whole life feel? will she ever be able to look at herself positively?

neha francis's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries
    This has been a serious issue in many parts in India. Even after so many years, we are still stuck up with such regressive attitudes. When I had a girl, my in laws were not so happy.

Arushi Sahai's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries
    My mom used to tell me that when I was born, nobody was happy especially in my fathers side. They all wanted a boy. In fact someone even suggested my mom to kill me but she of course she paid no heed. she was always taunted for bearing a girl and everybody pressurized her for a boy. as a result of this she had frequent pregnancies. Now that i am gown up and independent, my parents are proud of me. but i do think that why we girls have to prove ourselves.

Arushi Sahai's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries
    Despite modernity, there is regressiveness in Indian society. We still think that sons are superior. Unless we all change our mindsets, nothing will change. We need to think differently.