+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Taking Care of Newborn’s Umbilical Cord Stump

IndiaParenting's Avatar Administrator
    Blog Entries

Taking Care of Newborn’s Umbilical Cord Stump

What is the right way of taking care of a newborn’s umbilical cord stump?How long does it take for an umbilical cord stump to heal? When should parents be concerned about newborn’s umbilical cord stump?

newborn’s umbilical cord stump should be kept dry during first few days. When bathing your newborn, try to avoid the stump area. If water falls on it, then nothing to be concerned. Just wipe dry the are and put some neosporin powder. This helps in drying up of the stump area.

Fatima Shreen's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries
    Umbilical stump should be kept clean and dry. Fold the baby's diaper below the stump so it's exposed to the air and won't come in contact with urine. Avoid giving your baby tub baths until the stump falls off.Avoid dressing your baby in bodysuit-style undershirts until the cord has fallen off. And never attempt to pull off the cord, even if it looks like it's hanging by just a little thread.

Hetal Kapoor's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries
    I used to just wipe dry my baby's umbilical stump and dust with a disinfectant power. It gradually fell off after few days. Initially I was quite concerned about the stump and always feared that i may cause injury. I took extreme care while bathing my baby. I guess this is with all new moms.