+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Embarrassing tantrums

Kaumi Sharma's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries

Embarrassing tantrums

My 5 yr daughter is very good at throwing tantrums. She just needs an excuse and starts crying. She just wants her way and never listens to anybody. Is there anyway I can avoid her tantrum? It is embarrassing when she throws a tantrum in a market place or a crowded area.

Temper tantrums are exceedingly common in children, especially between ages 1 and 4 yrs. tantrums are simply a way of getting out the frustration and testing limits of parents. I think it will be very difficult for you but the first step in diffusing a temper tantrum is to keep your own temper in check. You're not going to get anywhere with your child if both of you are screaming at each other. Be firm in your decision.

It is possible to avoid tantrum phase, all you have to do is to look after her needs. You have to find out when she throws a tantrum and this way you can avoid that phase. Hunger, boredom and sleepiness are some common causes for toddler tantrums.If your daughter throws tantrum in market places then this may be due to boredom or over-stimulation. Try to keep her engaged to avoid a melt-down. When we say 'no' to a child, it curbs the enthusiasm and may lead to temper tantrum.

The best way to avoid temper tantrums is by avoiding the situation that causes it. Give your daughter some time to cool down when she is in a bad mood. Try to divert her attention. Rather saying 'no' or 'stop' use some positive words as they will have a positive effect on her. Most parents go wrong when they give big lectures. Instead of demanding what you want your child to do, give her a choice. Make your requests brief and clear. Don't talk too much or too long. Lectures and too much information cause overload in the young brain.Hope this helps.