+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Teach Your Kid in a better way.

Post Teach Your Kid in a better way.

I for inspiration looks at how to our children will be inspired from our lives. To quote Joyce Maynard: As much as we watch to see what our children do with their lives, they are watching to see what we do with ours. I can’t tell my children to reach for the sun. All I can do is reach for it myself.

More and more parents are asking me the same question: “How do I motivate my child? They just seem uninterested in most things.” Other parents worry about the kinds of interests their children are developing. I have worked with children who see beating up another child as ‘just playing’; teenagers who drink alcohol and argue that ‘it’s perfectly normal’ … the list goes on.

I think that the solution does not lie in either forcing our kids to do things or stopping them from going out or watching TV. The issue is that they are not being inspired at all or are receiving their inspiration from the wrong sources. What our kids need is to be inspired by their parents and family.

How can we inspire?

But before I answer that question, let me say that berating or scolding our children or comparing them to others is not motivating or inspirational. In fact, I have met children who give up simply because they feel they can never measure up to their parents’ expectations; and if they any way are going to be scolded, so why even bother to try!

The stairway to inspiration

I would like to share a couple of ways to inspire our children. The first is through stories – stories of our rich cultural heritage. Some of the fondest memories I have are of my grandmother telling me stories from Aesop’s Fables or the Panchatantra or the Bible.

Another way my family gave me inspiration was through quotes dad and mum loved to use. When I sit down some evenings to ponder over my life, I realize how those quotes and stories form the backbone of my value system. Even today I find that when I am at crossroads, it is the wisdom of these stories and quotes that often provides a solution.

Family stories are another way to inspire our children. I remember how my dad and mum shared their stories with me and my siblings – stories of how they lived during the war, stories of how they had family gatherings. The lessons I learnt from these stories are part and parcel of my values even today. Family values of courage, never-giving-up, honesty etc. can become part of our child’s heritage through the sharing of stories.

But the most powerful inspiration our kids can ever receive is from our own lives. When we as parents live out what we want our children to be, we provide the greatest inspiration to them – far more powerful than all those TV shows. When I am passionate about the work that I do – even if it is just cleaning the home, my kid who is watching me and learning from me, absorbs the value of passion. When I am forgiving and understanding at home, my child learns the same. Failing to be an inspiration to our children on how to live, I believe, is one of the greatest shortcomings of modern parenting.

Let us remember that when we inspire our children, we are allowing them to tap into the power of a value system that will anchor them.

To quote Joyce Maynard: As much as we watch to see what our children do with their lives, they are watching to see what we do with ours. I can’t tell my to reach for the sun. All I can do is reach for it myself.

Repka's Avatar Junior Member
    Hi guys, I'd like to know more about resources for bible study, because I've recently gotten interested in it and would like to understand it better.

Yo buddy, have you checked out https://biblesays.ai/? It's wild! You can ask an artificial intelligence what the Bible says about anything! I asked about sex offenders and it gave me some pretty interesting information. Definitely recommend giving it a try if you want to understand Christian a lot better! It helped me a lot, I'm sure it will help you too.