+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tips for Helping your Child Maintain Healthy Weight

IndiaParenting's Avatar Administrator
    Blog Entries

Tips for Helping your Child Maintain Healthy Weight

How to motivate kids to exercise regularly? How to encourage kids to eat healthy? Is it necessary for skinny kids to exercise?
    To read the related article, click here.
    Last edited by IndiaParenting; 29-10-2015 at 12:30 PM.

Hi, it is very important to help your child maintain a healthy weight as firstly you should be thanking god that your child has a healthy weight. We are struggling over here so that my child has some weight gain and some are struggling with their overweight child. It is extremely necessary to keep his calorie intake in balance so that you can maintain a good weight or stable weight. It is necessary that the child continues doing all the physical activities so that he has exercising habit daily. It is necessary you follow the same schedule which you have been following for gaining healthy weight and do not change it.

Arushi Sahai's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries
    Hello, you can maintain your child’s healthy weight by balancing the diet which he is having. Balancing out the calories is very important and make sure that your child is eating adequate food from which he receives the nutrients and vitamins which are required by his body. Do not make him or her starve so that his weight is maintained, this will turn out to be very harmful for the child. Eating and exercising should be done in equal amounts. Make children aware of importance of healthy weight so that they stop eating junk food gradually.

Malti Shanker's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries
    Maintaining child’s healthy weight is one hard task as today children are fond of eating junk and unhealthy food than eating healthy food. Creating awareness in them about healthy food and what they eat gives them what will help them understand how necessary it is to eat healthy food. Always try to make dishes tastier and the way your child likes it, try to add a healthy twist to his or her favourite dishes so that they enjoy the dishes and also intake the healthy things. Let them have plenty of fruits and vegetables if they love soup then make different vegetable soups as well.

Hetal Kapoor's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries
    I used to trick my children by adding vegetables in their sandwiches, pastas and even pizzas but I also made sure that it tastes good so that they do not crib about the taste of all the vegetables which were added in their favourite dishes. Also feed them a lot of whole-grain products like bread, pasta and rice. Feed them all the dishes which they like with a twist usually children hate trying new dishes but you can make new dishes by adding these healthy the way they like. Also serve equally sized proportions which are not too filling.

Dhwani Singh's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries
    I agree with you completely and what you are saying is a really good idea to try new recipes with a twist. Children might like some of the dishes and might want more and eat the healthy stuff without even knowing. I would like to recommend drinking milk daily. At least two or three glasses of milk should be taken by children in a day. Milk and other dairy products help in proper growth of the child and provides with all the nutrients required by the body for the growth of the child. If you are scared that he might gain those extra calories you can calories you can give them low-fat or non-fat milk.

Mariam Dsouza's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries
    You are really lucky that your child has a healthy weight and maintaining it is not really that difficult as you can continue with your routine intake of food what you give your child and additionally if your child is doing physical activities then it’s well and good. Weight can be balanced without any difficulty. I would like to suggest you to feed your child poultry, meat and fish in appropriate amount this will help in providing with proteins. Also adding beans and lentils in their diet will help maintaining their weight. Usually children like these things so I don’t think it will be hard to feed them that.

Now-a-days children eat junk more than healthy food and it has become a trend in all the children to have burgers and pizzas and many more. Eating junk food once in a while is acceptable but eating it every day is problematic. This might result into the fluctuation of weight and also cause increase in the weight. Try to avoid giving you children all the sweetened beverages like cold drinks or colas which are not at all good for the child’s health. Drinking water and home-made drinks like lemon juice, buttermilk, lassi, squash, fruit juices and many other drinks are very beneficial to drink as they can help get rid of the toxins from the body.

Remember physical activity can help in maintaining the weight of your child. As food is beneficial for the body and maintaining weight, exercising and doing other physical activities can be equally beneficial for balancing the weight. Put your child in sports, karate, martial arts, dance, swimming, stretching, yoga, aerobics, cycling and various other classes where he enjoys and also stays active throughout the day. Even if your child does one of these activities for even half an hour is more than enough for his body. The simplest exercise walking is the most beneficial one and I highly recommend it to all.