First Aid For Bee Stings
Bee stings, especially in the metro
cities, are not very common, but are not freakish incidents either. Almost
everyone has had bees buzzing around their living rooms at some time.
Here's what to do in case your child gets stung by a bee.
1. Remove the stinger. It should be scraped out, and not pulled out. Pulling out a stinger with your fingernails or with a tweezer causes squeezing, and this releases more venom into your body. Scrape it out with your fingernail or a knife blade.
2. Remember, the venom gland remains attached to the sting, and if it is not removed it will continue to release venom into the body for up to 20 minutes.
3. Wash the area thoroughly with soap and water. You could even apply a splash of antiseptic like Dettol.
4. Apply some calamine lotion. A better substitute however, would be a baking soda and water mixture for bee stings, and vinegar for wasp stings.
5. Relieve pain and swelling by applying a cold compress on the spot. Put ice in a cloth or plastic wrap. Don't apply ice directly on the skin.
6. Leave the ice wrap on your skin
for at least 15 minutes.
Sometimes, your child may have an
allergic reaction to the sting. Severe allergic reactions even cause death,
so it is important to carefully observe your child for an allergic reaction.
Symptoms of an allergic reaction are:
If any symptoms of an allergic reaction
develop, the stung area should be kept BELOW the level of the heart, and
urgent medical assistance should be called for immediately.
To add your views on this article or read others comments Click Here