Answering machines are are good way to know who has called you when you were not there at home. They make life easy in the sense we can get any important message instantly. The message recorded in the answering machine tells a lot about the personality and way of life of the person concerned so be careful while recording. Here are some tips.
Do you have an answering machine at home? Did you know that the message you have recorded on your machine says a lot about you, your family, your way of life - and could even prove to be life threatening? Here are tips on what to reveal and what not to reveal when you are recording a message.
1. There are many crazy people in the world out there, and many of them spend their time dialing numbers and trying their luck, hoping to get a woman on the line. So you have to make sure your message says as little
as possible about you.
2. Even if you are a single woman living alone, never use the word 'I' in your message. For example, don't say - "Leave your name and number and I will get back to you." Always use the word "We" instead. This will give the impression that you are living with someone - or with a family.
3. Don't leave your name on the message. Avoid saying "Hi! This is Aarti.." Instead, say "You have reached 1234555..."
4. Alternatively, if you don't want to leave your number, you could say something like - "Hi, you have reached the Agarwal residence. WE are not home right now, but if you leave your name and number, we will get back to you."
5. If possible, ask a male friend to record the message for you. That's definitely the .
6. If you are out of town and returning in a few days, don't mention this in the message. Never say something like - "I'm in Delhi right now, and will be returning on Saturday." You don't want any underhanded characters to figure out that no one will be home for another few days. It's providing them with the perfect opportunity to plan a burglary.
7. It may be tempting to leave a humorous message, but you never know who will be calling, and there's no need to display your sense of humor to all and sundry. Be impersonal and to the point on your message. You never know who will be calling you, and how your message will sound to someone who doesn't know you.
8. Similarly, don't leave a flirtatious message. There are enough mentally unstable people out there who don't know the difference between an obvious attempt at humour or light hearted flirting and a come-on.
9. Never ever leave any information about your children on your answerissang machine. Don't mention their names, don't mention that you have children. Remember, it's better to be safe than sorry.