Female contraceptive injections are gaining popularity and a majority of women are taking over this option. The main function of these contraceptive injections is that they produce hormones that stop you ovulating. They also have other anti-conception effects that help the woman stay away from conceiving.
If you are planning to go for contraceptive injections, it is advisable that you educate yourself. Learn about the advantages and disadvantages of taking the injection. This is because once the material is injected; it is inside your body. Once the medicine is in, it is in; it will prevent you from conceiving for a specific period of time. So go for it when you are prepared for everything related to the injection.
Precautions before Having Contraceptive Injection
Here is what you should do before agreeing to have contraceptive injection.
In some places doctors believe that the jab should not be present for more than two years in the body. Also, women with problems like osteoporosis should not go for this injection as the bone mineral density gets reduced partially.
- Consult your doctor and find out whether or not the jab that is going to be injected will suit your body and health conditions.
- Find out about the side effects and analyse whether you are ready for all that or not.
- There are certain conditions that restrict from taking the jab in. Educate yourself about them so that you can discuss things with your doctor beforehand.
Advantages of Female Contraceptive Injections
- The first and the most remarkable advantage is that you do not have to worry about using the contraceptive each time. The only thing you need to do is to visit the doctor on given time.
- Studies have revealed that contraceptive injection reduces the risk of cancer of uterus lining.
- The injection also protects you from ovarian cysts and ectopic pregnancy.
- Can be used after abortion or miscarriage
- Can be used by breast feeding mother.
Side Effects of Female Contraceptive Injections
Though the advantages outweigh the disadvantages, contraceptive injections are not free from pitfalls. So, if anyone tells you that there is absolutely no side effect, do not believe that person.
The most common side effects are -
- Heavy and long periods
- Irregular or even absence of periods
- Weight gain
- Tummy ache
- Late come back of fertility after stopping the jab
- Does not protect from sexually transmitted diseases
Though there is no such evidence of permanent infertility, in many cases it leads to depression as the woman is unable to conceive when she prefers to.
Rare Side Effects of Female Contraceptive Injections
Although the above information might help you decide whether or not you should go for the contraceptive injection, there are very less facts known till date. This is mainly because the concept of female contraceptive injections is not very old.
- Some women have experienced withdrawal symptoms after stopping the jab and this was similar to menopausal symptoms.
- In some women the jab that is injected causes breast tenderness or other type of reactions.
- Risk of brittle bones or osteoporosis increases in those who have the tendency or family history.
It is apparently a safe and effective method of birth control. However, it is better to discuss all advantages and side effects beforehand. Consult a doctor giving him your and your family‚Äôs health history before using the contraceptive patch.