The month of Ramzan or Ramadan is a sacred month for Muslims. According to Islam, it is considered to be very auspicious to fast during this month. This month ends with the celebration of auspicious festival of Muslims known as Ramzan Id or Ramadan Id. Read on to find more about the significance and facts about Ramzan.
The month of Ramzan is better known for its fasting and Muslims from all over the world fast from dawn to dusk during these 30 days. There are other restrictions that they follow in addition to avoiding eating and drinking. Everyone is supposed to think and do good deeds. Many people think that all these things they can easily do even when they are eating and drinking as in normal days. However, there are reasons and significance of fasting during the month of Ramadan.
Significance of Fasting During Ramzan or Ramadan
Have a quick look at the significances of fasting during Ramzan.
- It is believed that small and big temptations and the ways of the world distract people and spoil their purity and austerity. The month of fasting from dawn to dust helps in self-restraining as Muslims avoid food, water, vulgar and bad talks and even sex during this time.
- Fasting helps people develop and improve self-control. Ramadan is considered as a month of self-training and self-regulation.
- Some people think this fasting is harmful for health. This is a mere misconception. The only difference is the timings of the food intake. During the month of Ramzan you do not eat or drink from dawn to dusk. You miss your lunch and do not eat or drink until the evening prayer. Instead you have an early and nutritious breakfast and you can eat everything permissible in the evening.
- Avoiding water for 8 - 10 hours brings not much harm to the body. The prayer helps utilize the food in a better way and helps in good energy output.
- Fasting is believed to be only between human being and God because no one else knows about this fasting unless he is told about it.
Tips for Healthier Ramadan
- Do not miss the pre-dawn meal. Although this is the time when anyone wants to sleep a little more, but you should think that you can take a nap in afternoon or anytime during fasting also. But you will not be able to eat or drink the whole day when you are fasting.
- Try to limit the intake of fat because that will make you even thirstier during the daytime.
- During Ramadan it is better to remember the rule of filling your stomach one-third with food, one-third with water and leave the last one-third for air. This will help you stay fit during the month of Ramzan and throughout your life.
- Take a walk after Iftar as the fresh air will wake you up completely and prepare you for the next activity.
- Pray Tarawih as this is more exercise than mere prayer. This will help you build concentration and stamina in you.
- Take a short nap during the day when others are having their lunch. This will refresh you and fill you with energy for the rest of the day.
If you keep in mind these tips you will be able to complete your month of fasting with less strain. The month of Ramadan is also considered and well known for the emphasis on giving alms to the poor. You can get yourself involved in many social activities and improve your inner self. Ramadan is also known, as the month of seclusion and this will help you come near to your inner self and know it in a better way. So, know the significance and follow the tips this Ramadan.
What is Ramzan or Ramadan? Why fasting during Ramzan is considered to be auspicious? What is the significance of Ramzan as per Islam? To share your views and thoughts, click here.