+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is Paternity Leave Allowed in India?

IndiaParenting's Avatar Administrator
    Blog Entries

Is Paternity Leave Allowed in India?

When can the paternity leave be taken? How does paternity leave help father? How does paternity leave benefit the mother?
    To read the related article, click here.
    Last edited by IndiaParenting; 11-05-2015 at 12:07 PM.

Malti Shanker's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries
    In the pregnancy it is the mother who gives birth to the child, but the father also plays a major role. He is expected to be there by her side all the time whenever she needs.

Hetal Kapoor's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries
    The father is needed for moral support during and after the pregnancy for both the mother as well as the baby. There are some places where paternity leave is allowed for the father in India.

Kaumi Sharma's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries
    According to the Central Government, the paternity leave for a male is granted who works in central government for about 15 days to take care of his wife and the baby.

Dhwani Singh's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries
    The father should apply for the leave 15 days prior or within the 6 months of the date of the delivery of the baby. If failed to do so he won’t get the leave.

Mariam Dsouza's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries
    Hi, a father can get paid paternity leave which he usually gets on his working days. This rule is applicable when a child is adopted. This paternity leave is sanctioned only for the government employees.

Hi, father working at private places also get a paternity leave but not a paid one, their salary is deducted for the days he has applied the leave.

In corporate jobs the father gets a paternity leave for maximum seven days. This leave should be applied prior 15 days or a month. They leave is not a padi leave ans the salary is deducted.

Hello, the private sector have their own rules even when the government has authorised the paternity leave. Each company has their own laws and rules, some companies offer 12 day leave, some offer 5 days leave and there are some companies which not at all grant any such leave.

Hi all, a paternity leave is very important during the pregnancy as the father needs to be present for the mother and the child whenever they need him. The leave helps father to be present during the birth of the child and also helps creating some father-baby bond. There are some institutes and companies which allow paternity leave, however there are still some organisations which do not offer the paternity leave.

Sneha Rathod's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries
    Hello I work in the central government and they allow a mandatory paternity leave. I was granted a paternity leave during my wife’s pregnancy for almost 15 days which is quite satisfying. I could take care of my wife and my new born baby and was there for them when they needed me. This leave has been quite helpful for me. I had to apply for the leave in prior almost 15 days before the due date so that my leave was granted.

Hello, one of my friend works in the central government. His wife was pregnant several months ago and he applied for the paternity leave but could not avail it due to the changes in due date, than they were considered as Lapsed. He was getting paid leaves equal to his daily wages. However this leave is authorised majorly for the employees of the government itself. There are rare cases where corporate companies provide with these leaves.

Hello, the government provide a paternity leave in case the father wants go for a adoption as well and not only for the pregnancy of his wife. He can get 15 days paid leave and helps the father to get an opportunity to spend time with family and make their bonds stronger. The father is stress and burden free during this time as they do not have to meet up any deadline of any other work stress.

Hi, my husband works in a corporate organization. When I was pregnant he could not get a paternity leave. They granted just one day leave during my labour time and he was in with me in the labour room. I was happy he was with me in spite of the fact that he could not spend a few more days at home with me and my baby. He understood how painful the whole pregnancy process was for me and supported me throughout.

Hello, it is important for the people to understand that in today’s world parenting involves both the parents equally. It is a shared responsibility of both father and mother equally and hence the father should get a paternity leave to be present there with his family for all the needs and to support the family. The father is also emotionally attached to the child and when he sees all this in reality he becomes more caring and affectionate.

There are several women today who are very much career oriented and as well take care of the house. During this time the paternity leave will help the partner to be equally involved in all the activities and helping each other and parenting the baby equally. This caring and sharing of responsibility will help grow the bond stronger between the family and also make their bond with their children a stronger one.

There are paternity leaves allowed now-a-days in India. This leave is of much help to the entire family. The men can become more comfortable and confident in their parenting. They can also take up the regular child care duties. This grows the attachment between the child and the father bringing them closer. He will also get the sense of responsibility and family needs. The paternity leave is quite beneficial and should be provided all over India.